It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: IRS takes action
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

now, we all know this is bullshit, especially when many right wing churchs support the war without similar crap from the IRS.

what i'd like to know is where is the govenor of that state? where are the democrat legislator and senators? where are the republican senators? why have all of them NOT protested the IRS's letter to this church?

for elected officials who supposedly represent the people, it seems to me all of them have failed...on both sides. if this isn't the most slanted act against american people, then i don't know what is.

it's a shame the people of that church have not wrote letters to their elected representatives and protested this action by the IRS. why hasn't the MSM made an issue out of this? are we that far gone that the religious right has control over the IRS as well?

Antiwar Sermon Brings IRS Warning

All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena risks losing its tax-exempt status because of a former rector's remarks in 2004.

By Patricia Ward Biederman and Jason Felch, Times Staff Writers

The Internal Revenue Service has warned one of Southern California's largest and most liberal churches that it is at risk of losing its tax-exempt status because of an antiwar sermon two days before the 2004 presidential election.

Rector J. Edwin Bacon of All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena told many congregants during morning services Sunday that a guest sermon by the church's former rector, the Rev. George F. Regas, on Oct. 31, 2004, had prompted a letter from the IRS.

In his sermon, Regas, who from the pulpit opposed both the Vietnam War and 1991's Gulf War, imagined Jesus participating in a political debate with then-candidates George W. Bush and John Kerry. Regas said that "good people of profound faith" could vote for either man, and did not tell parishioners whom to support.

But he criticized the war in Iraq, saying that Jesus would have told Bush, "Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine. Forcibly changing the regime of an enemy that posed no imminent threat has led to disaster."

On June 9, the church received a letter from the IRS stating that "a reasonable belief exists that you may not be tax-exempt as a church … " The federal tax code prohibits tax-exempt organizations, including churches, from intervening in political campaigns and elections.

The letter went on to say that "our concerns are based on a Nov. 1, 2004, newspaper article in the Los Angeles Times and a sermon presented at the All Saints Church discussed in the article."

source:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... home-local

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:31 pm 

Richard Nixon has risen from the Dead.
The Republican Prty's bag of dirty tricks is still here 30+ years after Watergate.

I wonder if John Lennon is on GW's enemies list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:57 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

now i don't have a problem with the IRS cracking down on churches for getting involved in politics, but i haven't read where they busted pat robertson yet...or bill graham..or jerry falwell.

no church in america should be tax exempt....NONE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

On Democracy now they had this today.

The Internal Revenue Service has warned one of Southern California's largest churches it could lose its tax-exempt status because a priest gave a sermon criticizing the Iraq war two days before last year's presidential election. The IRS has sent the All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena a warning that the federal tax code prohibits tax-exempt organizations, including churches, from intervening in political campaigns and elections. The IRS has issued warnings to other non-profits, including the NAACP, for issuing statements deemed critical of the president.

IRS Beware. If you keep this up you may not be tax exempt either. You guys are taxing my nerves.

Thanks mga for the dvd. It got here finally last monday. Very good stuff, especially about WTC 7.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]