All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Olbermann on Thin Ice?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 am 

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/100406D.shtml

Quote:
Is Olbermann on Thin Ice?
By Jeff Cohen

I fear for Keith Olbermann.

Like so many others who hunger for some journalistic independence on TV news, I often marvel at Olbermann's dogged reporting and unique commentary. In a cable news environment of conformity and conservatism, the MSNBC host takes on the Bush administration for "demonizing dissent," for abusing our Constitutional traditions, for "taking cynical advantage of the unanimity and love [following 9/11], and transmuting it into fraudulent war and needless death."

Only Olbermann talks about Team Bush "monstrously transforming [9/11 unity] into fear and suspicion, and turning that fear into the campaign slogan of three elections." He was virtually alone on TV news in seriously reporting on 2004 election irregularities in Ohio, and in exploring the pre-Iraq war Downing Street Memos indicating White House deception. In recent months, his prime targets seem to have evolved from softer ones like Bill O'Reilly to bigger game: Bush and his minions.

It's worth noting that strong criticism of an extremist presidency hardly makes Olbermann a leftist. I remember him as the whimsical sports guy on ESPN. I remember his first go-round on MSNBC in 1998 when he could have sued his bosses for repetitive stress disorder for having to host scores of Lewinsky episodes on the road to Clinton's impeachment - an impeachment that may well have been impossible if not for the complicity of TV news.

It's obvious his bosses at MSNBC/NBC/GE never envisioned the increasingly bold Olbermann of recent months. It's likely that Olbermann himself could not have foreseen his current role as the lone voice of those who feel assaulted by a cable news business dominated by the O'Reillys and Hannitys.

So why do I fear for Olbermann? Because I know his bosses. In the runup to the Iraq war, I too worked for MSNBC - as an on-air pundit and a senior producer on the primetime Donahue show.

More at link.

I too, fear for Olberman. Not that he will be fired, that he could handle. But he has already been attacked by loonies, and there are so many of them out there. All our emails to MSNBC won't help with that problem.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:42 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

yeah, i think the main threat to olbermann is from outside the workplace. just another example of the "uniter" actually being a divider.

to quote someone at C&L on olbermann:
"i haven't seen cajones that big since 1970".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Olberman is critical of a regime that is fully protected with everything the mighty US can put up around them. Protection for the most hated man in the world has to be that way.

Olberman is like you or me...he has a job, he does it to the best of his ability, and he goes home. I"m sure his home is like a fortress, or I hope it is, but Olberman is vulnerable just like any dissenter is vulnerable, only he's just got a much higher profile.

I fear for him now, but that fear will certainly grow if the Repubs maintain their grasp on all three branches of the government. With two more years to implement their PNAC plan, Olberman will become more of a thorn in their side.

I think Olberman is following in the footsteps of that great journalist Edward R. Murrow...he didn't compromise his principals, and I don't think Olberman will either simply because of safety issues.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:06 am 

Quote:
I think Olberman is following in the footsteps of that great journalist Edward R. Murrow...he didn't compromise his principals, and I don't think Olberman will either simply because of safety issues.

I think you are right, Catherine. Olberman appears to have the courage of his convictions--something in short supply in the R population.

I hope emails praising him are pouring into the MSNBC studios!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid