It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DAVID SIROTTA: NOT READY TO MAKE NICE!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NOT READY TO MAKE NICE!

I felt more than a little sweet revenge when those wonderful Texans, The Dixie Chicks, won the best song Grammy for their straightforward "Not Ready to Make Nice." This powerful song, written in response to the death threats, record-breakings, and commercial censorship that happened after their on stage critique of semi-Texan George Bush and his soon to be invasion of Iraq.

If you have not listened to the song, I suggest wandering over to The Dixie Chicks' MySpace page. It asks some questions that still need answering. And it begs the question: why have our senators and representatives continued to play nice with the Bush administration — not even discussing a weak nonbinding resolution in the Senate — despite a clear mandate from the American people to bring the troops home from Iraq? It's too bad that our representatives in Congress haven't been as courageous as The Dixie Chicks.

With almost two years remaining in which Mr. Bush can wreak havoc, there will be many opportunities for all of us not to be nice. We will keep you informed!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm not the biggest modern country music fan, but damn I like this CD. These girls have more guts than all the chickenhawks in the Blackhouse. Love the Video that goes with it also and the info at the end. This is divine justice for them indeed!

This is Natalie accepting the ACLU award!
http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/20 ... d_by_aclu/

Quote:
Posted on Feb 12, 2007

The Dixie Chicks were honored in December by the ACLU for defending liberty and the right to free speech in the face of overwhelming pressure. Lead vocalist Natalie Maines said she’s proud to be a card-carrying member and “It hasn’t taken courage to stand strong, just a first-grade education.”

On Sunday the group won five Grammys to resounding applause—a sign of how times have changed since the band first came under fire for criticizing President Bush in 2003.

Perhaps she should have said first Class education. We can hear the wingers on that one. Too bad. They play pretty good for a first grade education too!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
“It hasn’t taken courage to stand strong, just a first-grade education.”

Yep, it's unfortunate that the Chicks opened themselves up on that one, but they're pretty darned good at taking lemons and turning them into lemonade. In fact, that statement could be used to describe Bush and his tendency to "stay the course" in Iraq, and yet anyone with a first grade education could see how stupid that is. It's got nothing to do with courage, Mr. Bush.

AND if some winger type wants to challenge the Dixie Chicks on the statement, it will give them another opportunity to elaborate and expand on what was actually meant...and to make pitchers and pitchers of lemonade!

I'm not a country music fan either, but I am a fan of the Dixie Chicks because of their courageous stand against the Bushies...and there's also Linda Ronstadt, Susan Sarandan, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Jessica Lange, Michael Moore, Barbra Streisand, Stephen King, Cindy Sheehan, etc.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman