It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHY YOU CAN'T REASON WITH A REPUBLICAN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

WHY YOU CAN'T REASON WITH A REPUBLICAN

Surely you've wondered this: why don't stupid things like facts change rightwingers' minds?

Digby explains:

Quote:
...the GOP base is not really concerned with issues or even God, Family, Country. They are about hating liberals. (Many of them are about hating dark or foreign liberals in particular.) We can present a thousand ten point plans and say they should vote for us because their economic interests lie with liberal policies, but it won't make a bit of difference. We can point out their hypocrisy and flip-flops and it means nothing. Republican identity politics transcend such prosaic concerns as policy and political philosophy. It's all about whether you are one of them.

MORE AT THE LINK.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:16 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Excellent post. I like the list he puts in here- Someone should make a poster of this. Call it- "Things Rightwingnuts do to prove they're good 'Merkns"-

Here's a sample-
Quote:
If that seems unfair, consider how much make-believe you have to play to believe in today's Republicans...

That they value common people more than they cherish Mammon.

That they value peace over the cheap thrills of sending other people's children to kill and die (or that peace and protecting our troops aren't worthy goals, after all).

That they live by Jesus' message of love and charity.

That their word is their bond, that they stand by "compassionate conservatism," "war is the last resort," "era of personal responsibility," "we support our troops," and "no child left behind."
.................<SNIP>..........

They're all so good I didn't know where to stop, but it is a list of the treasonous acts that these non thinking automatons have drunk into their brains and spoonfed propaganda is their daily diet.

Once again I ask- "As a Conservative, what are you trying to conserve? America's greed and it's Right to ignorance?"

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

A right-wing co-worker asked me who I would vote for in the Democratic primary. I said, "Probably, Barak Obama."

He asked, "Why, because of charisma?"

I said, "I don't give a crap about charisma. I'm not going to have a beer with the guy. I'd vote for him because he was against the Iraq war from the beginning, when it was very unpopular to be against Bush's invasion. AND, HE WAS CORRECT!"

I found it very telling that my right-wing co-worker had no response to this obvious assertion.

Of course, even though he cannot argue with the fact, he will never vote for the guy who was, and is, correct. He will stick with the guys who have been wrong all along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I Don’t Want to Get Off On a Slant Here: Dennis Miller, Right Winger; Pragmatist No More

These remarks go right along with why it's next to impossible to reason with a die-hard Republican right-winger:

by RARothTallTales

The 1990s hold a place in my heart if for no other reason than I was, depending on the year, 10 years younger. But the real driving force behind this nostalgic trip down the most recent addition to Memory Lane is that Dennis Miller, the master of the oblique quip, was – how do I put this without sounding like a total asshole – a whole man, as in his balls, and relevance and gravitas, were still intact, not doing 25 to life in the dank bowels of his wife’s Versace purse.

Now, I don’t want to bastardize Dennis Miller’s tagline anymore than I already have, but I have to ask, semi-rhetorically, what changed Dennis Miller into a bloated carcass of confused ideologies that drags itself from the noisome swamp-gassed marshlands of irrelevant yesteryear comedians for the unwholesome purpose of rubbing elbows with the Devils incarnate at Fox Noise?

September 11, 2001.

Or as I like to call it, the day Dennis Miller decreed the previous six billion years of history as prologue to the “post 9/11 era”. Be impressed, folks, even awed.

Dennis Miller, after he cleaned his shorts ten or twelve times, decided that all the time elapsed since the Creator let one go and poof! birthed the first cloud of matter that would eventually coalesce into a comedian who turned his back on the prime rule of comedy – go where the funny is – could be disregarded in order to further illusions of safety and succor in the bosom of George W. Bush, a “man” whose atomic makeup is perfectly attuned to sit and read “The Pet Goat” for SEVEN MINUTES while we were under attack.

True, Dennis Miller was no champion of liberalism. He always pointed out that, first and foremost, he was a pragmatist. I get that, and agree with it. But what is pragmatic about turning a blind eye to the ever-growing list of drawbacks in letting George Bush remake the “post 9/11” world into His glorious neocon image? How does a pragmatist digest perpetual war, deficits, expanding debt, the shrinking middle class, the swelling ranks of the poor and myriad other atrocities committed at the behest of a White House who has more faith than facts to back its agenda? I’ll tell you. He doesn’t.

Read the rest at the link.

R.A. Roth is the author of two works of published fiction, Tales of the Black Earth and Tall Tales

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:27 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Did anyone see Dennis Miller on The Daily Show the other day? It was pathetic. His so-called humor now consists of using his arcane references to ridicule the physical characteristics of various Democrats.

Check out this little spoof about Dennis Miller, past and present. It's hilarious.

Link: THE MILLER'S CROSSING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:27 pm 

I saw Miller on The Daily Show, and have not watched The Daily Show since.

If they can't pick better people to kiss up to, I really don't need to be part of their audience.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid