It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Silence
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From a TvNewsLIES Reader:
(It appears that the original source is here: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x3176467
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our lives begin to end when we fall silent about the things that matter."

This is something that Martin Luther King said once. I refer to that quote often now, as I delve deeper and deeper into speaking out against this immoral and dishonorable war in Iraq as a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War and also as a conscientious objector who refused to participate in it.

I refer to this quote when I encounter people who advocate just keeping one's mouth shut and looking out for one's self, even to the point of advocating that even if we disagreed with the Iraq war, that we have to support our government in what they're doing now.

I remember this statement when I feel anger creep over me at the thousands of US service members who were betrayed by our high officials in sending them to a war of choice, rather than one of a last resort. And especially I reference it in regards to those Democratic members of Congress who, while not directly sending them to war, failed to speak out against it at the time. From where I stand, "political pragmatism" is hardly an excuse for failing to take a moral stand against such a grave injustice.

Most of all, I remember these words to inspire me that a better future isn't something that comes about immediately -- the goals we place may not even be achieved within our lifetimes -- but that the important thing is that we never waver in seeing the better world we want to help create, and that we keep the hope alive in making that world a reality.

Martin Luther King not only spoke these words, he lived them. And even though his tireless work toward a better tomorrow resulted in the loss of his own life, he created the ripples in still waters that affected millions of others to carry on his vision of peace with justice and brotherhood into the future. Thank you, Martin.

If you only pay attention, you'll slip into the depths of depression...
The key is not to just pay attention, but to get involved. It has been widely shown that people who get involved in struggles like this often end up feeling better about the world, because the struggle itself gives people HOPE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:13 pm 

I referred elsewhere to a C-Span program available on the web. It is the State of the Black Union 2005, Morning Session and the Afternoon Session, two very long programs but ones that kept repeating the idea you just expressed.

http://www.c-span.org/ Audio/Visual--recent programs.

That meeting was inspiring!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]