It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robert Scheer: ‘President’ Lieberman: A Cautionary Tale
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20070612_president_lieberman_a_cautionary_tale/]‘President’ Lieberman: A Cautionary Tale
[/url]

By Robert Scheer

What if Al Gore had won the 2000 presidential election but died in office? Would President Joe Lieberman have been worse than George W. Bush? His recent actions suggest that he could have descended even lower in his illogical and immoral responses to the tragedy of 9/11. Although now an independent, Lieberman provides a cautionary tale for folks who talk of backing “any Democrat” who can win.

At a time when even President Bush has recognized the need for negotiations with Iran in order to stabilize Iraq, where disciples of Tehran’s ayatollahs have risen to power, thanks to the U.S. occupation he fervently supports, Lieberman urges war with Iran. “I think we’ve got to be prepared to take aggressive military action against the Iranians to stop them from killing Americans in Iraq,” he told CBS on Sunday, “and to me, that would include a strike over the border into Iran.”

He never learns. This is the joker who bought the Ahmad Chalabi line that invading Iraq would result in a pro-West and pro-Israel democracy with Chalabi (who later failed to get 1 percent of the vote) playing Iraq’s George Washington. For five years before 9/11, Lieberman pushed funding for Chalabi’s exile organization to lead the overthrow of Saddam Hussein. Lieberman was also a principal author of the 1998 Iraq Liberation Act, which threw $100 million in Chalabi’s direction.

Even as late as June 2004, when Chalabi was exposed by the United States as a spy for Iran, Lieberman continued to profess admiration for the architect of a policy that replaced the secular despot of Iraq with Shiite fundamentalists trained in Iran. “I met Dr. Chalabi and others of the Iraqi National Congress,” he said in a speech defending Chalabi after U.S. intelligence uncovered his contacts with Iranian spies. “It’s fair to say I found them to be patriotic Iraqis. Their counsel to us was important.”

In fact, Chalabi’s “counsel” concerning Iraq’s WMD program and ties to al-Qaida turned out to be totally fraudulent and as embarrassing to the United States as it was convenient to Iran’s plans to overthrow Hussein. Lieberman’s statement in support of Chalabi came two months after the National Security Agency reported that Chalabi informed Iranian agents that the United States had broken Tehran’s encryption code. At the time of the revelation, Chalabi traveled freely within Iran, where he maintained a residence. Despite Lieberman’s warm endorsement of Chalabi, “a person of strength, principle and real commitment,” the Bush administration ended his monthly $340,000 stipend.

More at the link....

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:01 pm 

I couldn't stand Lieberman when he was running for VP. And I never found out why he was picked. I consider him to be among the criminally insane in our politics.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject: Re: Robert Scheer: ‘President’ Lieberman: A Cautionary Tale
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:57 pm 

Catherine wrote:
[url=http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20070612_president_lieberman_a_cautionary_tale/]‘President’ Lieberman: A Cautionary Tale
[/url]

By Robert Scheer

What if Al Gore had won the 2000 presidential election but died in office? Would President Joe Lieberman have been worse than George W. Bush? His recent actions suggest that he could have descended even lower in his illogical and immoral responses to the tragedy of 9/11. Although now an independent, Lieberman provides a cautionary tale for folks who talk of backing “any Democrat” who can win.

At a time when even President Bush has recognized the need for negotiations with Iran in order to stabilize Iraq, where disciples of Tehran’s ayatollahs have risen to power, thanks to the U.S. occupation he fervently supports, Lieberman urges war with Iran. “I think we’ve got to be prepared to take aggressive military action against the Iranians to stop them from killing Americans in Iraq,” he told CBS on Sunday, “and to me, that would include a strike over the border into Iran.”

He never learns. This is the joker who bought the Ahmad Chalabi line that invading Iraq would result in a pro-West and pro-Israel democracy with Chalabi (who later failed to get 1 percent of the vote) playing Iraq’s George Washington. For five years before 9/11, Lieberman pushed funding for Chalabi’s exile organization to lead the overthrow of Saddam Hussein. Lieberman was also a principal author of the 1998 Iraq Liberation Act, which threw $100 million in Chalabi’s direction.

Even as late as June 2004, when Chalabi was exposed by the United States as a spy for Iran, Lieberman continued to profess admiration for the architect of a policy that replaced the secular despot of Iraq with Shiite fundamentalists trained in Iran. “I met Dr. Chalabi and others of the Iraqi National Congress,” he said in a speech defending Chalabi after U.S. intelligence uncovered his contacts with Iranian spies. “It’s fair to say I found them to be patriotic Iraqis. Their counsel to us was important.”

In fact, Chalabi’s “counsel” concerning Iraq’s WMD program and ties to al-Qaida turned out to be totally fraudulent and as embarrassing to the United States as it was convenient to Iran’s plans to overthrow Hussein. Lieberman’s statement in support of Chalabi came two months after the National Security Agency reported that Chalabi informed Iranian agents that the United States had broken Tehran’s encryption code. At the time of the revelation, Chalabi traveled freely within Iran, where he maintained a residence. Despite Lieberman’s warm endorsement of Chalabi, “a person of strength, principle and real commitment,” the Bush administration ended his monthly $340,000 stipend.

More at the link....

The prospect of a president Joe LIEberman frightens me very much, if for no other reason than his dual citizenship in another country. The founders intended for presidents to be natural-born Americans, with no ties to foreign governments that would cause them to place the interests of said foreign governments over American interests. LIEberman is loyal to Israel, not the United States of America.

Post subject: Re: Robert Scheer: ‘President’ Lieberman: A Cautionary Tale
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Michael Kwiatkowski wrote:
LIEberman is loyal to Israel, not the United States of America.

It would be interesting to know who is really loyal (first) to the United States. You know .. USA first .. all others after or next. Should make for one very long list huh? .. Yeah Right! :roll: