It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Germans Supported Hitler
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
In one of their leaflets, the members of the White Rose wrote, “We are your bad conscience.” They were asking Germans to rise above the old, degenerate concept of patriotism that entailed blindly supporting one’s government in time of war. They were asking German soldiers to rise above the old, degenerate concept of blind obedience to orders. They were asking Germans to confront openly the rumors of what German officials were doing to the Jews in the concentration camps. They were asking German citizens, both civilian and military, to make an independent judgment on both the Hitler regime and the war, to judge both the government and the war as immoral and illegitimate, and to take the necessary steps to put a stop to both.

They were asking Germans to embrace a different and higher concept of patriotism — one that involves a devotion to a set of moral principles and values rather than blind allegiance to one’s government in time of war. It was a type of patriotism that involved opposition to one’s own government, especially in time of war, when government is engaged in conduct that violates moral principles and values.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18061.htm

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

You may have seen this poster before, but I thought it particularly pertinent to this thread. Look closely at the information written on the transporation information sign above the poster.

Can you guess where this picture was taken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My eyes must be going but I think Germany!!!

At least they are wise enough to recognize and remember.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:45 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

CrimsonEagle wrote:
My eyes must be going but I think Germany!!!

At least they are wise enough to recognize and remember.

BINGO!

It's not your eyes. The letters are small and fussy, and it is difficult to tell. I just knew it was taken in Germany because the website where I first saw the picture mentioned the location.

If you mention Bush in the same breath with Hitler in the US, all the right-wingers laugh and claim that you have just lost the arguement. They should talk to some Germans before they start laughing.

Remember this, way back in 2002?

Quote:
Link: Bush Gets Apology For Hitler Remark

German Chancellor Regrets Comparison Made By Justice Minister

Of course, when Justice Minister Herta Däubler-Gmelin later denied making the comparison, and Schroeder apologized to W. Fuhrer, we all know that they were just covering their diplomatic arses.