It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NBC White House correspondent Kelly O'Donnell responds
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:25 pm 

During his Thursday evening newscast, Brian Williams gave a statement of tribute to a retiring Nightly News producer. He acknowledged her career, voiced his respects, and bid a farewell.

One of Mr. Williams' comments, however, really tripped my hot button. This comment was simply that the retiring producer, Jean Harper, is a distinguished journalist who's "the best there is."

In my view, when characterizing a journalist as "the best there is" part of what's implied is that the individual is noble, fair-minded, and has a conscience. I have to tell you that I'm adequately convinced those qualities are nonexistent among members of the NBC Nightly News crew. I base my conclusion in this regard upon their blood-soaked hands from serving corporate ends at the expense of so many innocent lives.

After Thursday's broadcast, I wrote an email expressing my sentiment to Mr. Williams and copied it to White House correspondent Kelly O'Donnell, as well as some others. Although Williams did not reply -- as he never does -- Ms. O'Donnell in fact did, and I responded.

The exchange appears below. (Read it from the bottom up.)

JB

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: "ODonnell, Kelly (NBC Universal)"
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: Jean Harper

Ms. O'Donnell,

It's not a matter of my own political perspectives. It's well beyond that.

It's a matter of a calculated campaign of deception upon the American public by top government officials in order to rally support for the unprovoked and unnecessary decimation of a sovereign state and its people. It's as well about the ensuing disruption, devastation, and slaughter forced upon countless innocent lives by this horrific, unjustified, and avoidable tragedy.

It's a matter of America's corporate-owned media outlets refusing to inform news consumers of factual details pertaining to illegal abuses of power by Bush administration officials in pursuit of their corrupt, self-serving goals.

It's a matter of NBC Nightly News management's policy of omitting coverage of crucial political developments that reveal factual truths about the Bush administration's illegal and destructive acts.

Brian Williams and the production staff of Nightly News well know that if they were to begin reporting the developments I speak of, the sizable public segment who depend upon terrestrial broadcast television news each day would begin to become genuinely informed and impassioned about these issues. Mr. Williams and his team understand that in such a case a significant portion of this *now poorly informed* public segment would feel compelled to convey their newly discovered concerns to their representatives in Washington. The demand for solutions would increase significantly, which is not in the interest of NBC or its defense contractor parent company.

Genius assessment skills are not required to understand that such a scenario would *not* be helpful to General Electric's bottom line. Nor are they needed to deduce that said bottom line is a major factor in this regard.

So, Ms. O'Donnell, it's really a matter of disinformation and mass-deception through the omissions perpetrated by NBC Nightly News and its counterparts. And that's certainly nothing to take pride in by you, Mr.Williams, or Ms. Harper.

Thanks for the reply.

JB

----- Original Message -----
To: "Jason Bell"
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: Jean Harper

Dear Mr. Bell,

I do not know how your email to Brian Williams reached me (perhaps a mass list) but after I read it I felt a desire to respond this time.

I am saddened that anyone would choose to attack Jean Harper at a moment marking her retirement. I do not know her well but I do know she appeared dedicated and fair minded in her efforts.

Ms. Harper has not been some well known public figure. She has been a hardworking, dignified individual.

The larger views expressed in your email are part of the public discourse that is a vital example of free speech. I take no issue with your right to criticize and give voice to your own political perspectives.

But I sincerely wonder why anyone would choose to personalize comments in a harsh tone and then direct them at one woman being acknowledged on her retirement. Whatever your world view and the merits of your positions, what you wrote came off as unkind and unprovoked.

Again, let me be clear that a vigorous debate is a very good thing. Today so many email messages contain what appear to be intentionally unkind words.

My aim is not to provoke or antagonize but to suggest that the tone of your note certainly appeared to be hurtful by design.

--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

-----Original Message-----
To: "Williams, Brian (NBC Universal)"
Sent: December 20, 2007 9:18 PM
Subject: Jean Harper

Mr. Williams,

You've described Nightly News producer Jean Harper as "the best there is." When one, such as she, condones and facilitates the level of filtering/omission that's engaged in by NBC Nightly News on a daily basis, and when much of what's concealed involves current and highly consequential political developments that journalists of true integrity wouldn't hesitate to cover, I'm left wondering why "the best there is" is so low-grade these days.

It was the corporate-agenda-serving actions of people such as yourself and Ms. Harper 5 years ago that resulted in a disinformed public's support for the Iraq invasion. It's similar conduct on your part today that's keeping us from leaving Iraq. You and your colleagues contribute to so much unnecessary death and suffering in this world with your perpetual fact hiding efforts concerning the Bush/Cheney crimes and all that's stemmed from them. You, and they, are continuing to ruin our once great nation.

Good riddance, Jean Harper!

Jason Bell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ms. O'Donnell did a good job of hiding behind the retiree, instead of addressing the real issues you brought up regarding NBC Nightly News management's decisions.

Typical...no doubt Ms. O"Donnell had to move quickly away from further comments to you in order to cover Jamie Lynn Spears' "surprise" pregnancy. :roll:

Good job, jason...keep the pressure on!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:46 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

She made a mistake in even replying. That is a miracle in itself- that someone actually replied! Hopefully she reads your reply as well.

I doubt that your "genius" reference narrowed the gap between her deceptions and disconnect, but it will possibly make her think that not all people are as dumb as they hope we are.

Another fine job well written.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:40 am 

Quote:
Whatever your world view and the merits of your positions, what you wrote came off as unkind and unprovoked.

And years of bombing Iraq, killing over a milliion of their people isn't unkind and unprovoked?

NBC, as with other networks, has terrible values!

Great writing jason.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:01 am 

dori wrote:
Quote:
Whatever your world view and the merits of your positions, what you wrote came off as unkind and unprovoked.

And years of bombing Iraq, killing over a milliion of their people isn't unkind and unprovoked?

NBC, as with other networks, has terrible values!

Exactly correct, Dori!