It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Operation Mockingbird: The history of CIA and US Corporate
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:15 pm 

Media

This thread has some amazingly usefull information on the history of Opertion Mockingbird. It is well worth perusing as time permits. I just added this info to the end of the thread.

It relates to an Time Magazine cover story of LAPD chief Tom Reddin from July, 1968. This was just one month after the RFK assassination, at a time when the LAPD was investigating the assassination before a nation with a fair amount of sceptics.
---------------
Currently I am reading William Turner and John Christian's "The Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy: The Conspriracy and Coverup" In the introduction they describe a new police intelligence group that formed in 1956 that coordinated some police departments across the country.

This is described as a rival to the FBI's work with police departments, that was formed because of Hoover's infamous lethargy when it came to going after organized crime. The two main departments involved seem to have been the LAPD and the police department in Chigago. Two of the leading investigators in the LAPD's Special Unit Senator, were trained by the CIA as part of this program.

I thought it might be useful to start a thread on the history of the LEIU. Perhaps it would be useful to include information from work with other departments as well as in Los Angeles; that way we can see if there are any parallels that might help in understanding the RFK assassintion.

The main force behind the LAPD's decision to join the LEIU, according to the authors, was the very influencial William H. Parker, who served as Chief of Police from 1950-1966. This is the longest reign of any LAPD Chief of Police. Parker was succeded by Thad Brown as acting chief in 1966 and then by Thomas Reddin from 1967-69

As someone who is very interested in connections between media and intelligence operations, I found it intriguing that, as reported by Turner and Christian,
Police Chief Reddin resigned from the LAPD in 1969 to become a news anchorman at KTLA-TV with a salary of 100,000. That was a wholesome sum back then.

I am curious as to how the Chief changed careers so quickly. Did the LEIU play a catlytic role in this career move?

I just made a discovery. I was clicking back to a Time magazine article on Police Chief Tom Reddin's transtion from Chief of police to LA TV station newsanchor
(with very little if anything? in the way of journalism background) when I noticed another Time article on Tom Reddin.

It happened to be a Coverstory, with ONLY Reddin on the Cover from July 1968!

The subject was nothing to do with the RFK assassination, but on the topic of policing the cities in general. Certainly, this was a legit, issue for a cover story in
July 1968 but why Reddin ALONE for the cover Reddin was not chief at the time of Watts in 1965.

Well I started reding the article and it portrays Reddin in a liberal light , " a streetcorner sociologist" . Part of this may have been real in comparison to others on the LAPD ( but just how high is THAT bar?) More to the point might this have been a PR attempt to "liberalize" the image of LAPD at a time when many might have become sceptical of their ability to conduct an ENTIRELY objective investigation into a some little incident that happened the month before, but to which the Cover makes not even the slightest allusion? Was the ghost of C.D. Jackson STILL moonlighting for Henry Luce?

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641 ... 19,00.html

click on cover for story under table of contents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:55 am 

Very interesting. I look forward to further information on this subject.

Certainly today's police headlines are grizzly. Have they always been?

And, just like the boy who cried 'wolf', people on the right cry 'liberal' until we are all blue in the face. Could that be the factor to which you refer?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid