It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Industry Funded Group Backs Website
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:24 am 

Another honest site about dishonesty.

http://www.frontgroups.org/

One of the issues: Pay No Attention to the Industry-Funded Group Behind the Website

To develop its new website that tries to help the public understand direct-to-consumer drug ads, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) "turned to a nonprofit front group erected by Shaw Science Partners, a public relations firm that specializes in launching new drugs," according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). EthicAd, the nonprofit behind the FDA site, is funded by Shaw Science and its own board members. Shaw Group founder Michael Shaw admitted that "if not all, almost all" of EthicAd's funders "do work for industry." EthicAd also "shares the same physical address as Shaw Science Partners." CSPI gives a negative review of the FDA site, calling it "jargon-filled" and lacking advice on how to evaluate messages about drug side effects, among other consumer topics. CSPI is calling on the FDA "to scuttle the web site, to terminate its relationship with the drug companies' PR firm, and to seek out advice from leading physicians, pharmacists, or consumer groups."

There are many links at the site. I am so glad there are people actually looking out for things like this and a site where we can look into the information ourselves.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject: Re: Industry Funded Group Backs Website
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:57 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks for the link, Dori. I like the groups that put the web site together.

From sourewatch, here's a link on a large list of front groups. The problem is it probably doesn't even scratch the surface. There's probably a heck of lot, just for the Chamber of Commerce, alone. The American cosmetics industry has their share, as well as, those who could give a crap about the environment. Hopefully, smart thinking Americans will start to incorporate the term "front group" into their thinking, when questioning who is funding a particular issue's position.

The anti gay marriage front groups are despicable. This article talks about one called The Arlington Group. In California, there was a group called Project Marriage that was backed by a religious group.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:31 am 

I just checked your 'front groups' link and what a great site! I will be going back there, it has great information.

I followed the Vets for Freedom link. Our Batavia 'hero' is a big mouth always pushing the war and is a member of that group. He is invited into the schools locally to 'give the students the right information about the war'. It is sickening.

I am amazed at how much your site has about this group and this individual. These people really do their homework.

I will be going back to look into the environmental groups. I am in a word battle locally about wind energy. The NIMBYs are laying it on thick. Did you know windmills are going to kill everyone living anywhere in the area of the siting? I didn't know it either and have been looking into their claims and doing what I can to have some sensible information also published so people can judge for themselves.

Thanks for the great sources you have provided CZ. And I will look up that information about churches and the anti-homosexual garbage they spread. What gets me is their poison is distributed on a tax free basis. Can't we at least tax the people who spread misinformation and hate?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I can agree with all of that.

I haven't really thought much about windmills. I know there are a bunch that line the hills of Livermore.

I guess they can be as ugly to look at as oil rigs. And they can be hazardous to the birds.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:03 am 

Windmills are not really hazardous to birds, not any more than any other structure. There is one bad siting in California that is a disaster for birds and that one site is touted nonstop by the anti-windmill people.

Actually, I think they are pretty neat looking, probably because they represent a step into a cleaner world.

Btw, that article on The Arlington Group was chilling. Thank you for posting that, the more we know the better we can deal with it.