It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How The Administration Killed Our Big Easy !!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:44 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Last week's cover story "A Disaster Waiting to Happen" focused on changes that have occurred under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) after it was absorbed into the Department of Homeland Security in 2002. FEMA insiders and emergency-management officials nationwide say the move spelled disaster for FEMA and for victims of catastrophic events. From 1993 until 2002, FEMA built a reputation as an effective, independent federal agency that responded to emergencies efficiently and made disaster mitigation a priority. But some FEMA employees and many who work closely with the agency say that when it became a subdivision of the Department of Homeland Security, FEMA's ability to handle natural disasters fell off significantly. Now, it must compete against anti-terrorism efforts for funding......................

Maestri is still awaiting word from FEMA officials as to why Louisiana, despite being called the "floodplain of the nation" in a 2002 FEMA report, received no disaster mitigation grant money from FEMA in 2003 ("Homeland Insecurity," Sept. 28). Maestri says the rejection left emergency officials around the state "flabbergasted."........................

In June, Maestri fired off an angry letter to FEMA, asking why Louisiana was excluded from the nearly $60 million available in grant money. Noting that Texas has fewer repetitive loss structures than Louisiana but received the most money from the program (nearly $9 million), Maestri says, "Perhaps it has something to do with the president being from Texas. Fine, let the president take care of Texas. But let Louisiana have a little something."................................

FEMA's diminished capacity to respond to natural disasters, and to thwart preventable damage from a major catastrophe, is especially worrisome to Louisiana. Areas of Louisiana once received hundreds of thousands of dollars from "Project Impact," FEMA's largest disaster-prevention program, until the Bush Administration eliminated it in 2001. It gets worse: Not only did FEMA reject all disaster-mitigation grant applications from Louisiana for 2003, but the state might not get any funding in 2004. Maestri says that as of Sept. 28, FEMA hadn't notified his office that any grant money was available for fiscal year 2004, which ended Sept. 30...................................

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatc ... ntary.html

I am truly surprised that Osam bin Laden has not claimed responsibility for this. 70 Million dollars could have been used to shore up the dykes along Lake Pontchartrain and helped to avoid a estimated 24 billion dollar loss. I mean 80% of New Orleans a major city and irreplacable cultural landmark destroyed due to lack of foresight seems like an impeachable crime to me. Fuck Bush and his Handlers.

TUT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi, TUT...welcome!

Please see my post in the Current Events about Bush's inaction.

Your post is excellent...when will Americans get tired enough ot this clown to kick him out of office so he can vacation all the time at his little "ranch?"

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

in your dreams Catherine... mine too...

I saw Chertoff on Meet the Press last night... he said that when he
got up Tuesday morning and read the HEADLINE of the newspaper, it
said Nawlins dodged bullet... that's disgraceful... I KNEW Monday
night that one of the levees had busted and 40,000 homes were
flooded to their eaves and thousands were stranded because of it...
and I saw video of it on MSNBC...

MONDAY NIGHT!

I KNEW on Tueday morning that 80% of New Orleans was underwater,
because I turned on my TV...

Is it too much to expect that the Head of Homeland Security might
TURN ON THE DAMMED TV, too???

How many articles detailed the breaches on Google News? There must
have been THOUSANDS! Is it too much to expect the HEAD of Homeland
Security to turn on his computer??

Totally detached from reality. Arrest him for dereliction of duty.

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates