It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US Media Tsunami Coverage
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:05 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

I'M SICK OF IT; ARE YOU?

Let me make this clear, what happened over in Thailand and the surrounding areas was in my opinion horrifying and totally tragic and the country and it's people do need major help and aid. What I can't stand is the constant showing of dead bodies and the like. We get the picture ABC, CBS, CNN, C-SPAN, FOX, MSNBC & NBC! I don't need these media outlets to remind of of the devastation.

Have you come home in the evening to dinner and while sitting down to eat at 6:00pm - 7:00pm, have been bombarded with images of dead bodies, decaying bodies or rows upon rows of bodies or half dressed and homeless/jobless people EVERY NIGHT on tv all while the reporter teases you with a statement like; "more bodies were found today" or "the devastation is mindboggling" or "we just had to see it for ourselves"? Do you find this sickening? Then the reporters and anchors put on this "act of compassion" they are so good at. I suppose that's why they make the millions they do. They are paid to manipulate our emotions, you know!

Watching the media here cover this story is a joke. One other thing, this story seems to be an excellent diversion from the Iraq mess, Social Security, the enviroment, the 9-11 debacle and all the other scandalous things in this administration. I'm sure Karl Rove and the gang over at the White House is loving this!

"It's Not What You Are, It's What People Think You Are"

If We Don't Ask, We Can't Learn" & "If We Don't Learn, We Can't Grow"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:31 am 

MattLiarLauer -
I could not agree with you more. Our media seems to love distractions. The bigger the better. It's not so much the Tsunami that is the distraction, it is the way the media is covering it. Social Security reform has barely been talked about by the media. I was talking to a co-worker the other day and he was not even aware of this administration's plans for Social Security. He actually asked me where he could find news articles about Social Security reform. I told him to just simply do a google search for news articles and he could not believe the amount of articles he found, yet this is barely being covered on TV. I wonder how many people are aware of the fact that our search for WMD's has ended and there is no proof that Iraq possessed WMD's. This media has given this administration a free pass and they are the main reason that Bush got re-elected.
-Eva