It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second Columnist Got Money from Bush Administration
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:10 pm 

Quote:
Following on the heels of the Armstrong Williams controversy, reports emerged last night that syndicated columnist Maggie Gallagher received a $21,500 contract from the Bush administration to a promote the president's push to encourage marriage as a way of strengthening families.

Link:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000777234

I am not the least bit suprised by this. I am sure there are many in the media who have received something from the Bush Admin. in order to push the administrations agenda.

-Eva

Last edited by Eva on Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Darn...she should be jumping up and down at being given such a small amount compared to what Williams got!

Her soul wasn't worth much, was it? :roll:

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:34 pm 

Catherine,

She just rationalizes it as that her "snafu" wasn't as bad since she didn't get paid as much as Williams did.

I guess if she was willing to take that amount, she also felt that her soul was not worth much of anything. :)

-Eva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She can join the Bushies all the way now...she's so tainted, she smells all the way to my part of the world!

She's in there with Anne Coulter, and all the others of their ilk.

She represents the extent to which the journalism world has sunken to since Bush and his corporations took over.

:evil:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Get'n Paid For It: Another Bush "Whore" Exposed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:55 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Ain't that about nothin! I guess old Armstrong was right after all - there were others accepting money from a Federal Agency to tout the Bush agenda.

"Armstrong/Graham" got $240,000 and Maggie Gallagher only got $21,500? Does she in any way feel like a "cheap whore"? Oh, I'm sorry, we've discussed this before on another thread (mediawhores vs whores of a sexual kind). I appologize and did not mean to demean the "working women of the streets" who at least freely admit they are offering their "services" for $$$$ and are not ashamed of the service they perform (unlike Armstrong and Maggie).

Wonder who will be outed for being "on the take" next? Watch; on the Sunday Gabfests, the pundants will admit they had no idea she was on the take and will once again say they don't know of anybody else accepting money from the Bush Administration to tout the Bush agenda.

"It's Not What You Are, It's What People Think You Are"

If We Don't Ask, We Can't Learn" & "If We Don't Learn, We Can't Grow"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right, Matt...old Maggie must not be too smart...in many ways.

You know, it's one thing to sell your integrity, which is about as low as a person can go, but to sell it so cheaply is adding salt to the wound!

It's a tragi-comedy, and if this woman has a grain of intelligence left, she'll try to get a job overseas.

How about Iraq?

:tongue3:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: "Paid 2 Tout Administration Policy" or "Paid
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:12 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

CORRECTION:

Ms Maggie says she was paid to "advise the Administration" and not to tout their agenda.

Ok, let's see: A Federal agency approaches her and offers to pay her $$$$ for her "advise to them" on a particular issue. They ask her because her views mirror theirs. From time to time, she appears on tv or write columns that "tout" an issue the Administration is in agreement with her on (maybe it is the one they paid her to advise them on or maybe it is not). Throughout this whole senario, she never reveal that she was paid by the Administration to "advise them".

Well, ok, what was she so afraid of? If she did reveal this to the press, did she feel they would scrutinize her or the Administration? For her to then say she forgot is a joke. How and the world do you forget being paid $21,500 and what you were paid it for? This in itself tells me she had something to hide and was not comfortable about the arrangement.

I saw Tony Blankley (Newt's former Press Secretary) on The NewsHour Thursday along with Maggie who was given a forum to defend her actions. Tony was defending her saying that you can't compare what she did to what Armstrong Williams did because what Armstrong did was clearly wrong.

We'll see who get's outed next and how the Administration spins it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:54 am 

Well, here's another one:

Bush payola scandal deepens as third columnist admits being paid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,1 ... 11,00.html

Imagine if something like this would have come out during the Clinton Administration. Not only would we be reading about it, but all of the major networks would be covering. Bush on the other hand gets a free ride by press.

-Eva

Post subject: Williams/Gallagher/McManus:3rd Columnist "Outed"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:20 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Well, well, well; I see what you mean. These Repub columnists love to get paid for their, um, written word and "oral skills":
---xxx---
Bush payola scandal deepens as third columnist admits being paid

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Saturday January 29, 2005
The Guardian

The Bush administration was confronted with fresh evidence of a far-reaching clandestine campaign to influence public opinion yesterday after a third conservative commentator admitted receiving payments for championing its policies.

Michael McManus, a newspaper columnist, was paid up to $10,000 (£5,300) to praise the administration's marriage initiative, which diverts funds from welfare to marital counselling, the Los Angeles Times reported.

His fees were approved by a branch of the department of health and human services, and were funnelled through the Lewin Group, a consultancy firm. The commentator's rightwing Marriage Savers Foundation received an additional $49,000 in government grants. Mr McManus did not disclose the payments in his columns.

Neither did Maggie Gallagher, another conservative columnist and even a more prominent supporter of the marriage plan.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that Ms Gallagher received $21,500 from the department of health and human services, and $20,000 from the justice department for championing the initiative in her syndicated newspaper columns.

George Bush tried to distance the administration from such payment practices earlier this week, and an official from the health department said the payments would cease.

But a report issued on Thursday by Democratic members of the House of Representatives suggested the Bush administration may rely far more heavily on pay-per-view columnists than had been previously thought.

The administration spent more than $88m on public relations contracts last year - more than double the $37m it spent during Mr Bush's first year in office. That brought the administration's first-term spending on PR to $250m.

The first sign of a political payola scandal erupted this month when USA Today reported that Armstrong Williams, a conservative African-American columnist, had been paid $240,000 by the education department to champion the administration's controversial policies in his print, radio and television outlets.

Mr Williams was paid through Ketchum PR, the public relations firm also involved in producing fake "news pieces" last year that touted the administration's prescription drug bill. Some US television stations put the clips straight on the air.

The administration claimed that its use of a fake reporter, Karen Ryan, to sell its programmes, was an isolated incident. It now appears that such covert campaigns were widespread.

The Bush administration's readiness to pay for favourable press at a time of mounting budget deficits has raised eyebrows in Congress.

"While not all public relations spending is illegal or inappropriate, this rapid rise in public relations contracts at a time of growing budget deficits raises questions about the priorities of the administration," a report on public relations spending by the Democratic staff of the house government reform committee said.
---xxx---
In Hollywood, they have "Play or Pay" clauses in contracts so if the movie does not "play", the star has to get their "pay" plus a % extra. In Washington, they have "Pay 2 Say" aka they'll pay a jounalist $$$$ if they tout the policies or speak well of the Adminstation.

"PAY 2 SAY" SCORECARD as of 01-29-2005:

Armstrong Williams (Thru Kechum PR to Armstrong/Graham, Inc) - $240,000 by Dept of Edu
Maggie Gallagher (Personal Payment?) - $21,500 by HHS + $20,000 by Dept of Justice
Michael McManus (Thru The Lewin Group) - $10,000 by HHS
Michael McManus (Thru Marriage Savers Foundation) - $49,000 by HHS

Now I'm beginning to see a very disturbing pattern. The media talkingheads are royally pissed at Armstrong, not his company (Armstrong/Graham, Inc) and not Stedman Graham aka "Oprah's Boyfiend". Tony Blankley says you can't compare what Maggie did to what Armstrong did as well as she was DIRECTLY PAID for her "advise" and not to "tout" Adminstration policy. Now that we have found out Michael has been paid by way of not 1, but 2 avenues (Pub Relations Firm & his own company), what will they say on Meet The Press, Face The Nation, FOXNews Sunday, CNN Late Edition & This Week w/George SitOnTopOfThis/Stephanopolous about him? Why is it that they so despise Armstrong? Is it because he received upwards of 5 times what the others (who have been revealed so far) were paid? I personally don't think that's it. You would think (based on their pattern so far) the overpaid media talkingheads will rake McManus over the coals for "touting" the pet projects of the Administration but I'm beginning to smell a rat here.

Armstrong's column was dropped by Tribune; will Gallagher's and McManus' be dropped by their syndicates as well? We shall see what happens to them and what is said on the Sunday Kiss-Rear Shows.

Sunday Show Big News Story: Iraq Election of 3rd Pay 2 Say Jounalist Outed
Since the Iraqi Elections will be given far more coverage/spin tomorrow, maybe the "Pay 2 Say" issue will be lightly covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol:

I wonder if there will be more, and what kind of spin the Bushies (meaning Rove and his bunch of Orks) will come up with to "distract" or "excuse" this?

You know they will fake something, even if it's to pretend we're in danger of another terror attack.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:14 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

CORRECTION: MY LAST PARAGRAPH: It should read "OR" not "OF"

--x--
Sunday Show Big News Story: Iraq Election OR 3rd Pay 2 Say Jounalist Outed
Since the Iraqi Elections will be given far more coverage/spin tomorrow, maybe the "Pay 2 Say" issue will be lightly covered.
--x--

I'm watching SUNDAY TODAY and Campbell Brown is reporting LIVE from Baghdad. No mention of "Pay 2 Say" yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh boy...The Bush regime is going to use the Iraq elections to create distraction as much as possible.

They're not elections, not as we knew them prior to 2000. The Iraqis are just role-playing and following a pre-written script. The outcome of the elections is not in doubt by anyone with half a brain.

The candidates who support the Bush regime and the eternal presence of the American troops will go into the puppet government to do the bidding of the Bushies.

Kind of like the last election we had, here in America.

Quote:
A contact of mine just returned from spending a week in Fallujah. We shared some of the food brought from my friend in Baquba.

"I'd been in Fallujah for a week and all I'd seen was tough military tactics," he tells me, "They are arresting people and putting them in these trucks, blindfolded and tied up. Everywhere I looked all I saw was utter devastation."

He spoke with many families who told him one horror story after another, death after death after death.

"Then today, the military brings in a dozen Humvees and ground troops to basically seal off a small area near a market," he continues, "In the middle of them is a CNN camera crew filming troops throwing candy to kids and these guys in orange vests start cleaning the streets around them."

He laughs while holding up his arms and says, "I'd never seen those guys anywhere in the city before. I don't know where they came from."

After a pause to take a drink of soda he adds, "I'd never seen any boots on the ground at all, and all of the sudden there are all these marines standing around like everything was ok. It was the first time I'd seen any soldier not in a Humvee or a Bradley. I was really surprised."

"All of it was 100% staged. Good PR before the election," he says. Then in a reference to mainstream America he adds, "Fallujah is fine, now go back to sleep."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_05/012805E.shtml

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Pay 2 Say or Irag Elections? What Will Be The Top Story?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:47 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Its's 12:50pm Sun 01-30-2005:

FOXNews Sunday
No Mention

Face The Nation
No Mention

Meet The Press
No Mention

This Week w/George Stephanopolous
No Mention

It was wall 2 wall Iraq Election coverage complete with Brian Williams, Peter Jennings and Sheperd Smith all LIVE from Baghdad. Not A Suprise!