It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why fight intelligent design?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:24 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

(Note this is tongue in cheek:)

Why the heck are liberals putting up such a fuss about creationism (er, uh, intelligent design) being a part of the education curriculum? Wouldn't it make science easier?

With creationism, test scores could only go up. And the US could be tops in science, once again. Just think:

The answer to any scientific problem would not have to be books long to answer, nor involve complex mathematical equations. Nope, with "intelligent design", any of the following answers would suffice --

* It's in god's plan.
* God did it.
* God will fix it, if he wants to.

For example, this whole Darwin shmarwin issue. Why bother trying to figure out how we came to be, how we evolved? God did it. God made us who we are. Automatic A.

What's the cure for cancer? Who knows, but if it's in god's plan, god will fix it. So, there. Put down those lab mice. He's waiting for the right moment.

Now, kids will still have to answer what's 2+2, because god made the numbering system and he would have wanted you to answer it that way. But word problems, come so much easier when you just realize the answer is, "It's whatever he (point upwords) wants it to be."

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried to convince a creationism believer the other day that she had the right to homeschool her grandchild after she went on and on about how that "evolution stuff should not be taught in school." :roll:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:35 pm 

Catherine wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried to convince a creationism believer the other day that she had the right to homeschool her grandchild after she went on and on about how that "evolution stuff should not be taught in school." :roll:

This dovetails nicely with lefty's Dumbing of America thread. Not only are they proud of their own ignorance, they demand that everyone else join them in bliss. :!: :!: :!:

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Hey....worked for Bush.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There could be no better example of how stupid Americans have become, PT!

:roll:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:43 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

One of the favorite wastes of time for some evangelical christians is to try and debunk carbon dating as inexact.

Well, well. If they aren't trying to use the process to determine the age of the Shroud of Turrin:

Shroud of Turin Gets High-Def Scrutiny
Quote:
Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News | Feb. 28, 2008

Speculation about the linen cloth continued as well as debates over the validity of the carbon-14 tests.

"There is the possibility that new carbon-14 tests today will produce different results. A new hypothesis has been formulated, and it deals with information that wasn't available twenty years ago," Rolfe said.

Must be using "holy water" or something on the carbon dating machine. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:51 am 

Isn't that like conservatives who gripe endlessly about people getting 'free money' from social security, while they continue to collect it themselves?

The old, 'I don't believe in it except when it helps me' outlook on life.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:55 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

And with all that joking, the real world points how much this "joke" is still a thing to contend. The following article asks:

"So does Intelligent Design constitute scientific information?"

Because what is at stake in Florida:

Intelligent Design could slip into science class
Quote:
Backers of Intelligent Design said the evolution-challenging theory could be taught in science class under a new 'academic freedom' bill.

Posted on Thu, Mar. 13, 2008 | BY MARC CAPUTO | mcaputo@MiamiHerald.com

TALLAHASSEE -- The religiously tinged evolution-questioning theory of Intelligent Design could more easily be brought up in public-school science classrooms under a proposed ''academic freedom'' legislation being pushed by conservative lawmakers.

And it's not just the ACLU saying it anymore.

A leading voice for the Intelligent Design movement acknowledged as much Wednesday by saying that the theory constitutes ''scientific information,'' which the bill expressly and repeatedly says teachers should present in questioning and criticizing evolution without fear of persecution.

The remarks by Casey Luskin, an attorney with the Seattle-based Discovery Institute, were made during a press conference with actor-columnist-speechwriter-gameshow host Ben Stein, who's exhibiting a documentary in support of the legislation.

The bill was drafted after the state Board of Education voted last month to include repeated mention of evolution and natural selection in state science standards for the first time in state history. The bill expressly bans the teaching of religious theories -- which a federal court has ruled Intelligent Design is.

But the legislation also repeatedly tells instructors to teach the ''full range'' of ''scientific information'' about biological and chemical evolution.

Of course the question I have is what's the "scientific information" that I.D. says it has?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:11 am 

I guess that points out that people are free to remain ignorant and insist their children stay ignorant too.

What a great country, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:51 am 

How on earth are they going to teach ID without bringing a "creator" of some sort into it? And in doing so, wouldn't that then force a specific religious belief on the students? I would never allow my son to go to a school that taught ID. If I wanted him to have a religious education, I would send him to a religiously based school. Arg. Its bad enough that the stupid fricking NCLB act has dumbed down school to a pathetic level with only math and reading being important, now, when the children actually will get a break from test focused classes, they will learn about supernatural stuff. Sweet, yeah NCLB and ID!! Bringing us a new generation of cannon fodder and walmart employees.

OOps I guess this wasn't really funny farm rant material. Tell me if you thing I should delete it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you said it quite well, lefty! :wink:

When the POTUS is DUMB, he tries to make all Americans as DUMB as he is.

A Dummy leading a bunch of other Dummies! NEVER have we had a president as dumb as W is....and look at the results!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:11 pm 

lefty wrote:
How on earth are they going to teach ID without bringing a "creator" of some sort into it? And in doing so, wouldn't that then force a specific religious belief on the students? I would never allow my son to go to a school that taught ID. If I wanted him to have a religious education, I would send him to a religiously based school.

IF I were ever forced to give God a name, it would be irony. I am the product of twelve years of Catholic education. My basic science courses of Biology, Chemistry and Physics were all taught by nuns. This is where I learned about evolution as established scientific theory. I learned that theory of this type is subject to refinement and filling in the gaps NOT to wholesale replacement. This is the disconnect between science and the rubes who have latched onto ID. ID is just another term for the totally debunked Creationism. The preachers and perpetrators of ID use the real scientists' terminology as a semantic tool by simply saying the terms mean something they do not. The rubes involved who cannot be bothered to study and understand the science then fall prey to the superstitious mumbo jumbo the preachers hand out.

The preachers ignore the text of their own Bible—
Mark 12:17
"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Nowhere in the Bible that I can find does it say science is in God's realm. God gave us intellect and to squander it is in my opinion one of the greatest sins possible.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:39 am 

Quote:
Nowhere in the Bible that I can find does it say science is in God's realm. God gave us intellect and to squander it is in my opinion one of the greatest sins possible.

And too many churches compound those sins.

I wish people who say they are Christian would at least be aware of the teachings of Jesus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We talk of the "light years" it takes to get to certain stars.

Well, the heavens are supposedly beyond those stars. And our souls are supposedly in those heavens. So, maybe we should understand time in terms of an ascension rather than light years, because an ascension seems to move things faster passed the stars than silly old light years.

With all that special Newtonian physics, you have to do a lot of calculations to figure out the number of light years. Crap, is it five or five hundred to get to the Death Star? With intelligent design, all you need to know is that it takes --

One ascension.

That's it.

How long does it take to get to our sun? One ascension. And you don't even need any special anti-sun-rays suit if you've got god on your side (or in front of you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

church of the flying spaghetti monster

INTELLIGENT DESIGN: PRIMATES SUE

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman