It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christians
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism

Book Description:

Clear, concise, and persuasive, Atheist Universe details exactly why God is unnecessary to explain the universe and life's diversity, organization, and beauty. The author thoroughly rebuts every argument that claims to "prove" God's existence — arguments based on logic, common sense, philosophy, ethics, history and science.

Atheist Universe avoids the esoteric language used by philosophers and presents its scientific evidence in simple lay terms, making it a richly entertaining and easy-to-read introduction to atheism. A comprehensive primer, it addresses all the historical and scientific questions, including: Is there proof that God does not exist? What evidence is there of Jesus' resurrection? Can creation science reconcile scripture with the latest scientific discoveries?

Atheist Universe also answers ethical issues such as: What is the meaning of life without God? It's a spellbinding inquiry that ultimately arrives at a controversial and well-documented conclusion.

[b]Important Questions Answered in This Book

* What, precisely, is atheism, and why is it misunderstood so thoroughly?

* If God is a myth, then did the universe appear from nothing?

* Does the meticulous clockwork of planetary motion result from mindless random forces?

* Do atheists believe that human beings evolved through blind accident from lifeless matter?

* Do the splendor and intricacy of life on Earth reveal evidence of intelligent design by a supernatural Creator?

* Can atheists prove that God does not exist?

* What about Creation Science, and the popular new movement to reconcile Scripture and science?

* Have recent scientific discoveries pointed to God’s governance of the cosmos?

* Did Albert Einstein believe in God?

* Does the fact that energy cannot be destroyed lend credibility to a belief in eternal life?

* Without God, can there be a valid system of ethics or an objective "right" and "wrong"?

* Does religion encourage moral conduct and civilized behavior? Is the Golden Rule really such a bad idea?

* What is the meaning of life without God?

* When we die, are we simply dead like dogs?

* Did atheists suffer a trauma in childhood that warped them into blasphemous rebellion?

* Because of ubiquitous injustice on Earth, is an afterlife required to redress the imbalance, where evil is ultimately punished and virtue rewarded?

* Is atheism just another crackpot religion?

* What’s the harm in a person’s private spirituality? Does humanity have everything to gain, and nothing to lose, through belief in God (even if He’s only imaginary)?

* Apart from the Bible, is there secular historical evidence of Jesus’ miracles and resurrection?

* How do atheists explain "near death" experiences and medical miracles which amaze even skeptical doctors?

* Why should a tiny minority of atheists be able to force their opinions on everyone else by banning prayer in public schools?

* Since "there are no atheists in foxholes," have famous nonbelievers recanted on their deathbeds?

* Did Old and New Testament prophecies correctly predict events which actually unfolded during our own lifetimes?

* What about the Shroud of Turin and the discovery of wood fragments from Noah’s Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey?

* Does the Law of Entropy (or the "running down" of the universe) contradict evolutionary theory, which asserts that Nature’s complexity is increasing?

* Is there absolute proof that man evolved from a lower form of life?

* Even if you believe that all life evolved from a single cell, how could complex cellular life originate without a Creator?

* Is atheism a totally negative philosophy, leading only to cynicism and despair?

* Does communism’s past embrace of atheism prove that atheism is an evil and failed philosophy?

* Was America really founded upon Christian principles by Christian believers?

* What is the true, behind-the-scenes relationship between politics and religion in 21st-century America? [/b]

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:15 am 

that's one of the proofs of what i like about this nation under which we have the freedom to decide for ourselves on how we choose to worship or NOT to participate in organized religion of any sort.

but the time is coming when the powers that be do intend to strip that freedom from us.

they will tell you how to worship and whom to bow down to.

they will claim that thier way is the only way.

if you refuse to comply you will be sent to your nearest fema/concentration camp.

it's all in the patriot act.

but for now we do have a choice, and i'm willing to fight like hell for the right of those who don't believe in god along with those who do.

the time we have left in having a choice is growing shorter and shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:14 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
but for now we do have a choice, and i'm willing to fight like hell for the right of those who don't believe in god along with those who do.

I don't know, maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. But, I am not willing to fight. With all the shit that is happening in this country right now and NOBODY is doing anything. I mean there are no real protest being planned, no ads being taken out in papers, no radio shows that are actually saying anything except lip service. If they are not willing to fight for what they believe, similar to what the Iraq's are doing now (nothing) then they deserve what ever happenes to them
[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it's not happening on American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, or on Fox, it's not HAPPENING!

THAT's what I find so bizarre about Americans right now. They don't give a shit about what's happening to their country! Apathetic to the nth degree.....and a lot of them were the same people who took to the streets in the 60s! go figure...

Where have you gone, Joe Dimaggio?

:(

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
I don't know, maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. But, I am not willing to fight. With all the shit that is happening in this country right now and NOBODY is doing anything. I mean there are no real protest being planned, no ads being taken out in papers, no radio shows that are actually saying anything except lip service. If they are not willing to fight for what they believe, similar to what the Iraq's are doing now (nothing) then they deserve what ever happenes to them

Quote:
If it's not happening on American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, or on Fox, it's not HAPPENING!

THAT's what I find so bizarre about Americans right now. They don't give a shit about what's happening to their country! Apathetic to the nth degree.....and a lot of them were the same people who took to the streets in the 60s! go figure...

Where have you gone, Joe Dimaggio?

Then lets do it. I am ready when you are ready.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.