It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worlds in Collision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:05 pm 
Involved
Involved

About 20 years ago, I read a book called Worlds in Collision. I thought the author, Immanuel Velikovsky was a crackpot. Very convincing while you were reading the book but once you thought about it, seemed to make no sense.

With all the recent hullabaloo regarding teaching evolutionism vs. creation ism, I decided to revisit the book. Velikovsky was a departure. He wrote Worlds in Collision in 1950. Apparently, he upset quite a few people. He postulates that rather than evolution, our earth colliding with comets, asteriods and the like were the catalysts for sudden dramatic change. Not slow change that evolutionary thinking postulates nowadays.

I'm 100 pages into it and as intrigued as ever. I.V. is very well educated with regard to the ancients. he examined the ancient writings of the Chinese, Indian, Iranian, Egyptian, Iraqi, etc peoples and looked for common themes. For example he postulates that a comet passed very closely to the earth about 3000 or so years ago and then goes to some length to explain how the encounter with the comet may explain many of the happenings written in ancient texts.

Its all theory, but never the less, it is interesting and makes certain logical sense. It is a great voyage into a combination of science and philosophy.

Ollie