PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:28 pm 
Involved
Involved

Communism by by James D. Forman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't read that book, Hyperion. When you finish it, how about giving a summary of it here?

Is this a book of your own choosing, or perhaps a class assignment?

Either way, please summarize it for me.

Thanks.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:23 am 
Involved
Involved

Catherine,

I'm not good at summarizing, but I shall try anyway, just for you.

Said book is indeed that by which I've taken it upon myself to read without requirement by any class. The reason I read the book is simple: to gain information. Many people think that's "wack". Other people don't mind. Whatever the case, this is a new habit to me. Prior to a few weeks ago, I've only read three books in my life, all of them being novels, and though I have read many magazines before, I haven't gotten into more insightful magazines, and I've begun reading the newspaper everyday at the school library. I also often read articles on the Google News page. All of this is to a form and keep a habit by which I believe would be good for my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good for you, Hyperion, to be seeking out information both online and on paper. What class are you in and where do you go to school? Don't worry about summarizing that book for me. I can look it up online and read a summary that way. I was mainly interested in the book from your viewpoint, but only if you wish to share it.

I used to tell my students (I am a former teacher) to read the book and then pop in the video. Far too many of them had the habit of doing the opposite. I was trying to make them understand that the moviemakers would often veer from the content of the book if it meant easier filming and/or an increase in entertaining content.

Once they saw the difference, they had a great time reading books and making predictions on how the movie production company would change it.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:51 pm 
Involved
Involved

Catherine,

I'm currently attending high school. This is my last year and I'll be out. I've sent applications to several universities. I still await returns.

I understand that you can simply look up a summary online and I believed that you merely wanted to know my viewpoint, as you've now clarified to be the case.

When I read Friday Night Lights, I was tempted to see the movie even though I hadn't finished the book. The movie was released only three days after I purchased the book, and I only took as long as I did finishing it because I had a busy schedule that week. I managed to finish the book before seeing the movie. By the way, the book and the movie were awesome, to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hyperion..Congratulations on reaching that lofty Senior status. I'm happy you've applied to universities and I hope you get into the one you want.

I'm also very impressed with your overall attitude and willingness to seek out knowledge on your own. I am looking forward even more to finding out what your perceptions are of the present political situations in our own country and around the world.

The topics are many and varied here at TVNL, so I'm expecting to see you posting in many of the forums, if not all!

I noticed this evening that Friday Night Lights is on Pay Per View. Since you've said it was so good, I may have to fork over $3.99 within the next few evenings to see what has impressed you so much! :wink:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:09 am 
Involved
Involved

Catherine,

Catherine wrote:
Hyperion..Congratulations on reaching that lofty Senior status. I'm happy you've applied to universities and I hope you get into the one you want.

Thank you very much. :)

Catherine wrote:
I'm also very impressed with your overall attitude and willingness to seek out knowledge on your own.

Thanks again. :wink:

Catherine wrote:
I am looking forward even more to finding out what your perceptions are of the present political situations in our own country and around the world.

I often refrain from speaking online about political issues unless I know entirely what I'm talking about. This is just a habit of mine. I'll look into the topics and see if I find anything I want to speak my mind about.

Catherine wrote:
The topics are many and varied here at TVNL

As I've noticed. I haven't been to many forums that contain a large multitude of unique articles.

Catherine wrote:
I noticed this evening that Friday Night Lights is on Pay Per View. Since you've said it was so good, I may have to fork over $3.99 within the next few evenings to see what has impressed you so much! :wink:

I hope you like it.