It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ONE MORE REASON TO LIKE VIGGO MORTENSEN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you've not seen Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises, give yourself a treat and do it. It's a film that is full of psychological suspense and the fight scene in the bath house will become a classic.

BUT, here's another reason to enjoy the excellent performances of this talented actor:

Quote:
Watching the presidential campaigns, Mortensen sees vaguely nauseating parallels. "They had this very important vote on the new attorney general, who's now been approved. And four senators who are running for president didn't even bother. They couldn't make it, I don't know. I want to learn more about that. I'm going to do some research on that. My feeling is, they're campaigning for their Oscars, you know? And they're too busy to realize this was a crucial moment for the country—for the Constitution."

During the primaries, he was rooting for Dennis Kucinich, the vegan -congressman-bantamweight from Ohio. Mortensen recently endorsed Kucinich on Hannity & Colmes, hopping a red-eye to Manchester, New Hampshire, to express his dismay that ABC had excluded Kucinich from a pre-primary Democratic presidential debate—with that scarlet Argentine soccer scarf again around his neck. As for the current commander in chief, Mortensen calls him "out-and-out simple. Which is not to say that he is simple. I think he's very clever. I don't think you get to be president twice fairly legitimately or illegitimately without being a smart person, even if you're kind of a tool. But Bush is a willing tool. Reagan was, too. Most presidents are." The doomy blue eyes stay fastened to the ceiling as the boots come off.

http://www.mensvogue.com/arts/feature/a ... rentPage=3

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember how the public needed the escape and distraction of motion pictures during the Great Depression? Maybe that's why I went looking for a good movie to go see in the days ahead, rather than waiting to see it via Netflix. I actually found one that I definitely won't miss, starring two excellent actors, Viggo Mortensen and Ed Harris:

Viggo Mortensen and his shotgun in 'Appaloosa'

Mortensen doesn't miss an opportunity to take a potshot at the Bush admin. He does it again when he's talking about his role in another movie entitled "GOOD." He's not only a fine actor, but he's a smart one, too.

Quote:
In "Good," which also played the Toronto festival, Mortensen stars as a novelist, professor and all-around decent man who is gradually lured into Nazi complicity in 1930s and '40s Germany.

"It's about trying to make the right choices, but then you go along a little, then a little more, and then you try to justify what you've gone along with," Mortensen said. "Just like what happens in any country. Even now, I'm sure over the past eight years there are people that kind of go, `I voted for that guy twice,' or as a legislator, `I can't believe I allowed that law to compromise on another piece of legislation.' It all adds up to changes where you say, `If I had known eight years ago what all these little choices would have added up to, then I wouldn't have made so many of them.
"

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:43 am 

I'm not familiar with him, but he sounds like someone I would like very much. I love the posts about him.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sure you know about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, dori. Mortensen played the lead role....Aragorn. That role catapulted him to stardom.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman