It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Being a father today.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:24 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

When I was younger, we had very little, to no information about fatherhood and what it meant. Our job was to work and allow the woman to raise the child. Then when the Yuppies came along women entered the work force to provide the cashflow to provide the extra's society placed on us. Nowadays it seems that two people have to work just to survive. At what expense to our children, our supposed most valuable asset. Are we sacrificing our quality of life for mere survival at the expense of our families and relationships with each other and our children?

To the younger generation of men who are planning to have children, I offer these sites in the hopes that you are better educated than we were about what may await you in the not so distant future.

http://www.healthofmen.com/fatherhood.htm
http://www.menweb.org/wchtop10.htm Top ten. !999-how much is coming true?
http://www.openpathways.net/melbourne_mens_centre.htm From Aus. Jayhawk, how credible . Is he still in business?

Seems that men are divided and can't find empathy as a means to network the way women can. We must pull together in a community spirit to share and feel the compassion we need to get our priorities as men.

Not as homo erotic, as we must rise above that classification to one of helping and sharing our experiences and beliefs about who we are and why we do the things we do.

We can't be afraid to call each other on what we do as men to undermine our relationships with our families. For those who are successful, educate those of us who can't seem to get it right. The Nanny and shows like trading spouses show how we can add to the family structure in positive ways.

Just some thoughts on what we can do. I love the modern age, where so much information is there if we wish to use it. Who needs a god when we have each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I don't think my wife or I really look to others on how to raise our children.

I think we generally look at how we were raised and try not to do the bad things.

Belts for punishment are out.

Taking time out to play with the kids, so we don't end up like that god aweful "Cat's in the Cradle" song.

Taking an interest in their music, because a lot of it overlaps with what we were listening to when we were their age.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.