It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Antarctic lakes could reveal oldest undisturbed sediments
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Lakes found under more than 3 kilometers of ice may reveal the very beginnings of life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 191687.stm

Quote:
An Edinburgh scientist's study of a 15 million-year-old lake buried under the ice of Antarctica could yield clues on climate change and the origins of life. .......<snip>......He said: "For example, because water acts as a lubricant to the ice above, they may influence how the ice sheet flows.

"Their potential for unusual life forms could shed new light on evolution of life in harsh conditions; lake-floor sediments could yield vital clues to past climate."

He added the lakes could also help to give insight into the extraterrestrial environment of Europa - one of Jupiter's moons.

I have other stories about these lakes but I wanted to mention that i watched "An inconvenient truth" today and his section about the water rushing out from eastern canada into the ocean and the threats from Antarctica and Greenland are similar. i saw a show on how Icedams break and it is started underneath the ice in small ways that start this kind of flow Gore described. As examples, thwer ewere the ones in the west that created strange formations in Idaho during successive dam breaks and another was an incident in Iceland recently. These lakes and streams under glaciers are powerful forces as they sometimes fill with waterand then empty in Antarctica at measured 30 foot heights. That is how they found these lakes.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/di ... akes_x.htm

Quote:
The lakes were detected under 2,300 feet of ice by satellite data gathered in 2003 and 2006. The satellite bounced laser measures off the same patches of ice to measure precise changes in elevation, according to a presentation made by the researchers at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in San Francisco.

The lakes gave away their positions by rising and falling — by as much as 30 feet in one case. The researchers, expressing surprise at how quickly the lakes drain, think they fill until they bust, sending their contents cascading under the ice sheet.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:33 am 

It is kind of surprising there are any undisturbed areas around anymore. Not only around the world, but in space as well.

It is a cinch they will not be undisturbed very long.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:06 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

There's a race to to claim offshore rights for whatever as well as each country having designs on it for mining etc.

One minor stumbling block is their agreement to make it a permanent research area only.

Wonder how long it will take them to ignore that or claim they're doing research while secreting resources, much like the Japanese and their whaling excuses. Deception, broken promises and treaties are all to prevalent in our common pasts.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:43 am 

Right on!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid