It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Relation between Avian flu and Bird flu.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:33 pm 

What is the relation between avian flu and bird flu? I am very confused of this, plz help me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Avian is a term related to birds or things that fly. Bird flu and avian flu are the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:06 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

one in the same....read on....enjoy!!

Avian Influenza (Bird Flu)

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Speaking of hating to read things mga, along comes this. It's bad enough I can barely gag down some potato chips and never touch an oreo, but now how will I look at a chicken or it's burger counter-part at Wendy's. Thanks.

Quote:
Influenza A (H5N1) virus – also called “H5N1 virus” – is an influenza A virus subtype that occurs mainly in birds. It was first isolated from birds (terns) in South Africa in 1961. Like all bird flu viruses, H5N1 virus circulates among birds worldwide, is very contagious among birds, and can be deadly.

Terns migrate around the world from north to south in search of summer. It's a wonder it wasn't spread everywhere.

Quote:
So far, spread of H5N1 virus from person to person has been rare and spread has not continued beyond one person. However, because all influenza viruses have the ability to change, scientists are concerned that the H5N1 virus could one day be able to infect humans and spread easily from one person to another. Because these viruses do not commonly infect humans, there is little or no immune protection against them in the human population. If the H5N1 virus were able to infect people and spread easily from person to person, an “influenza pandemic” (worldwide outbreak of disease) could begin. No one can predict when a pandemic might occur. However, experts from around the world are watching the H5N1 situation in Asia very closely and are preparing for the possibility that the virus may begin to spread more easily and widely from person to person.

I heard recently that they have synthesized a vaccine for the bird /avian flu. Of course only those who deserve it will get it as it will no doubt be in limited supply.

Be prepared to pay through the chickens teeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i think the last time i ate an oreo was in 1979......but, i get into my bar b que potato chips. however, my wife says i got a "tummy", so i have since laid off.

wendy's or micky d's is about a couple of times per year and only in desperation.

i do make hot dogs once in a while because i'm too lazy to really cook something..lol...but i limit that to maybe a couple times a month.

i can make a hell of a hamburg tho...lol

at home..it's olive oil only (italians we are) lol...but my biggest worst habit is i smoke....:(

but, hey, we all have a vice or two.

Post subject: RE:Relation between Avian flu and Bird flu.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:07 am 

Hi dear, you should not be confused of these two words. They are correlated as- Bird flu is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses and the influenza viruses that infect birds are called “avian influenza viruses.” Bird flu viruses do not usually infect humans, but several cases of human infection with bird flu viruses have also been found positively. Moreover spread of bird flu virus from person to other has been found rare. However, because all influenza viruses have the ability to change, scientists are concerned that the bird flu virus could one day be able to infect humans and spread easily from one person to another.

Post subject: Re: Relation between Avian flu and Bird flu.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:00 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

kays wrote:
What is the relation between avian flu and bird flu? I am very confused of this, plz help me out.

They both suck big time ! :wink:

Even though they do, I'm just kidding.

I read somewhere, that one person's research of (odd) flues showed relationships (somewhere in between pig and bird virus flues,) but forget where I saw that. It said if I remember correctly, that it resembled a flue found in both pigs and birds, but it was and odd type that was something in between that of bird or pig flue, but not quite. Weird I know and hard to explain from memory.

best!

SI

--l

Post subject: Symptoms of Bird flu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:34 pm 

Recently my brother and my parents have returned from Indonesia after spending a 15 day holiday there. As these part of world is recently attacked by bird flu disease I am really worry about them. I want to know that what the symptoms of Bird flu are so that I can recognize it easily if any of my family members is affected by it. Please help me and provide me necessary information. I have visited a site having URL http://www.drugdelivery.ca having great information on bird flu and its treatment but I will appreciate any further information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Symptoms of Avian Influenza in Humans

The reported symptoms of avian influenza in humans have ranged from typical influenza-like symptoms (e.g., fever, cough, sore throat, and muscle aches) to eye infections (conjunctivitis), pneumonia, acute respiratory distress, viral pneumonia, and other severe and life-threatening complications.

Antiviral Agents for Influenza

Four different influenza antiviral drugs (amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir, and zanamivir) are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment and/or prophylaxis of influenza. All four have activity against influenza A viruses. However, sometimes influenza strains can become resistant to these drugs, and therefore the drugs may not always be effective. For example, analyses of some of the 2004 H5N1 viruses isolated from poultry and humans in Asia have shown that the viruses are resistant to two of the medications (amantadine and rimantadine). Monitoring of avian viruses for resistance to influenza antiviral medications is ongoing.