It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is coffee good or bad for you?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:22 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We all have heard that caffeine is not good for insomniacs. I think I can attest to that with my own self studies. In fact, from the Wash Po:

Quote:
... it can cause anxiety, insomnia and a handful of stomach and cardiovascular problems, and doctors recommend that pregnant women avoid it. Some studies have shown that excessive caffeine may cause people to lose calcium.

I've heard it said that caffeine is a diuretic. But I've also heard that this diuretic may also help you wash away valuable minerals. As that Wash Po article reiterates.

Now, I hear that it has dioxins.

Quote:
The cup or two of coffee you may have had for the past many years for instance? Consider that coffee, among other natural compounds, contains benzo pyrene (considered by EPA to be a mutagen and rodent and human carcinogen), benzaldehyde (EPA rodent carcinogen), benzene (rodent and human carcinogen), caffeic acid (EPA rodent carcinogen), hydrogen peroxide (EPA mutagen and rodent carcinogen).

But then I've heard that it can help ward off cancer. But only if you're a lab rat.

So, what's the story on its health affects?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:32 pm 
Involved
Involved

It's healthiest for those around me to stay out of my way until after I have my first cup :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
It's healthiest for those around me to stay out of my way until after I have my first cup

:lol: I drink one cup a day, usually. If I'm having dinner out, I usually have an after-dinner cup, but I always ask for the decaf. I LOVE the flavored coffees. Hazelnut is my favorite.

Is it healthy or not? Probably as healthy as anything else that we drink nowadays. Honestly, sometimes I don't know what to think because what's healthy today won't be tomorrow. So, if you like it, drink it. If you don't, don't.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I guess it all goes to "Who do you believe?"

Some industry council study that says everything is fine. Or some researcher.

It's just like an old milk debate. Milk good for kids. Not so good for adults. Whole milk is definitely a no-no for adults. I stick with non-fat myself. But the thing about milk for adults is that it supposedly washes away calcium in women.

Caffeine is said to have addictive qualities. Don't know if I'm going through the withdrawals, being a few months without, now.

This article might state the subtly obvious:

Quote:
We love the rich aroma and the taste of coffee, and we do like something hot in the morning. But we are not fooling anyone. What we want is the buzz, that is, the caffeine. “Do you know that many people cannot do without taking at least one cup of coffee or tea a day?

It has become the accepted, somewhat joked about, addiction.

Of course everyone has different reactions, but the article says --
Quote:
Other effects of caffeine on the body includes; stomach irritation, interference with proper digestion and a constricting effects on blood vessels. Caffeinated drinks can also stimulate the stomach to excrete excessive acid, which may later aggravates ulcer.

I'm hypocondriatic enough to believe that it did start to mess up my digestion a bit. That and heartburn.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:22 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Definitely addictive.

I drink at least 3 big mugs of coffee a day and I will often have a soda throughout the course of the day.

I was on a job once where we chose to not take a coffee break or a lunch in exchange for going home early. Fair trade that we all agreed on.

For me, this meant no coffee other than the one I would have on the way into work. I didn't think there would be a problem.

After working for a couple days, I noticed that I was getting headaches. Pretty severe headaches. This was very unusual for me because I very rarely get headaches, yet now all of a sudden I was getting them every day.

I never made the connection until a few weeks later I was sent to another job where we did take coffee break and lunch, staying the whole day rather than leaving early.

I think it was like the third day at break when I finally made the connection.

Duh, sometimes I'm quick like that.....I pick right up on these things.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
It's just like an old milk debate. Milk good for kids. Not so good for adults. Whole milk is definitely a no-no for adults. I stick with non-fat myself. But the thing about milk for adults is that it supposedly washes away calcium in women.

1% milk here..and I've never heard that milk washes away calcium in women. :shock:

Whatever, my doctor told me two years ago to start taking Viactiv calcium supplement after a bone density test revealed some bone loss in the right hip area. I take two of those a day...plus I do more walking now than I did then... I had my two year bone density test done in June...bone loss has stopped. While I've not regained any bone, I've not lost any...and that's great news.

We must always remember that some of these reports that we hear or that we read about are often some group or individual who has been given grants to study certain topics...and often the organizations giving the grants like for the recepient(s) to come up with results the grantors like...and can use to advance their cause, whatever it may be.

No like result, no renew grant! Think about that! Kind of like wagging the dog...or making the evidence fit the crime.

Tea has been promoted in recent years as being full of antioxidents...that's good because I love tea...drink it iced and unsweetened. One of the most refreshing drinks in the world.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman