It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NO MORE DARKNESS! STEM-CELL RESEARCH HELPS TODDLER
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NO MORE DARKNESS

Port Charlotte Toddler and Family Travel to China to get Help for Blindness.

Stem-cell treatments already producing changes in Port Charlotte toddler, who is legally blind

Cameron Petersen can't sit still.

The 19-month-old Port Charlotte toddler crawls toward objects with a new sense of curiosity. His legal blindness seems to be fading with each day in China, as he explores the foreign surroundings of the room.

"My son says he's like a little monkey," said Cameron's grandmother, Carol Petersen, who has been communicating with the family by phone.

Earlier this month, Cameron traveled to China with his parents, Melissa VanGorp and Zachery Petersen, as part of a case study to treat his blindness with stem cells.

Cameron was diagnosed with optic nerve hypoplasia, a leading cause of blindness in children. The condition causes underdevelopment of the optic nerve and can lead to permanent blindness.

Doctors told Cameron's parents nothing could be done.

But the family never gave up hope.

They found Stem Cells China, a research facility which has successfully infused stem cells into patients suffering from numerous disabilities and diseases.

Family members raised about $20,000 this summer to help fund the trip to China and for the treatment.

The procedure, which isn't available in America, transplanted harvested umbilical cord stem cells into Cameron.

Stem cells can transform into specialized cells with specific functions, such as repair of Cameron's optic nerves.

Treatment consisted of four total stem-cell infusions to Cameron's arm and the lumbar region of his spine. It didn't take long to notice a change.

Carol Petersen said Cameron's energy level increased following his first treatment on Aug. 10. He also seemed healthier.

Petersen said Cameron used to have a high temperature every other day.

By the third treatment, Cameron was standing on his own and crawling toward objects -- something he couldn't do before. In the past, Cameron would feel objects such as his toys by putting them against his lips and face.

"He's exploring everything," Petersen said. "I am just so overjoyed."

Cameron is one of five children to undergo stem-cell treatment for optic nerve hypoplasia. Among those treated by Stem Cells China were a child from Missouri this summer, along with a girl from Romania. Both have shown incredible progress with vision.

Cameron will return early Wednesday morning with his parents.

Peterson said she hopes to raise awareness about stem-cell research, since it remains a controversial subject in the United States.

"If it's in our power to do this to help people, why can't we?" she said.

Just one man stands in the way of stem cell research in the US: GEORGE W. BUSH! :evil:

BUSH VETOES MEASURE ON STEM CELL RESEARCH

Quote:
The bill he vetoed Wednesday would have allowed research on fresh lines drawn from surplus embryos destined to be destroyed by fertility clinics.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:16 am 

If I understand Bush's reasoning on this, he's saying that to continue to use stem cells would somehow be against god's will, right? (please correct me if I misunderstand his reasoning)...but supposing this is the case, it brings me to an argument I often end up having with Christians. If god's will is for this to happen or that to happen, then why do Christians go to doctors to have treatments, receive medicines, etc? The answer I always get is that god gave those doctors their knowledge in order to continue god's work, sort of like he is using the doctors to heal people...I'm sure others have heard this reasoning...so why, if the above is the case, why wouldn't god want people to use stem cells to heal? Why is a heart transplant something god would want, but not a stem cell transplant?

I only ask this because the only "logical" (I don't think its logical) argument I've heard against using stem cells is the religion argument. But if that argument's not valid, then why don't we do this????

In some ways I think its because no one in GWB's family needs stem cell therapy. I have a stinking suspicion if they did, he would suddenly have a drastic change of heart about the whole thing.,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 am 

I think you are totally correct lefty.

And isn't it wonderful news that this is working for this child--and will for many, many more!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
In some ways I think its because no one in GWB's family needs stem cell therapy

I don't think stem cells have ever been shown to prevent or cure stupidity. :P

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_stephen__080402_barbara_walters__tel.htm]April 3, 2008 at 19:07:14

Barbara Walters' Television Special Highlights Role Advanced Cell Technology's Embryonic Stem Cells Breakthroughs

[/url]

Advanced Cell Technology, Inc announced today that an ABC Television’s special report titled, “Live to 150, Can You Do It? Secrets to Living Longer,” which aired last night and was hosted by Barbara Walters, highlighted the role that the company’s blastomere program for creating human embryonic stem cell (hESC) lines without impacting the developmental potential of embryos could play in extending life and slowing down the aging process.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman