It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olbermann highlights RAW exchange with Perino
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Olbermann highlights RAW exchange with Perino

Discussing Sen. John McCain's much-publicized Iran/al-Qaeda "gaffe," MSNBC Countdown host Keith Olbermann referenced an exchange Thursday between RAW STORY reporter Eric Brewer and White House spokesperson Dana Perino.

Olbermann characterized the exchange as evidence of a "growing gap" between McCain and President George W. Bush, and "reality."

ERIC BREWER'S EXCHANGE WITH PERINO ABOUT BUSH'S STATEMENT THAT "Al Qaeda is in Iraq, stealing our oil!"

Quote:
I had a lot of fun at the White House Wednesday afternoon, and not because I made Dana Perino mad. In fact, I felt a little sorry for her today. It's not her fault that Bush's speechwriters put ludicrous statements into his speeches.

It all started when I came across the following line in the President's Iraq War Birthday speech:

"An emboldened al Qaeda with access to Iraq's oil resources could pursue its ambitions to acquire weapons of mass destruction to attack America and other free nations."

I almost started salivating

Me: The President warned of the danger that al Qaeda could gain access to Iraq's oil resources. But I don't understand how a fragmented, clandestine, non-Iraqi terrorist organization could produce and sell Iraqi oil on the global market, especially when the majority of Iraqis have turned against al Qaeda. Could you describe a plausible scenario?

Dana: The purpose of what the President said is that al Qaeda should not be allowed to have safe haven in Iraq and take over --

Me: How can they take over Iraq's oil reserves?

Dana: Well, if we were to leave we would certainly ensue chaos and not be able to -- if we were to leave too soon, it would certainly be chaos and it would be terrible for not only the innocent Iraqis, but the entire region and, in fact, our own national security. That's what the President --

Me: So the Iraqis would let a foreign terrorist organization take over their oil?

Dana: You're missing the point, and I think that you should go back and read --

Me: No, I --

Dana: Yes, actually, I think you are missing the point. And I call on you because I see what you write about how you come here and you really want to have questions asked. And I'm calling on you and I'm providing it to you, but I suggest that you read the President's speech and read it in context, because that's -- what you're suggesting is not what the President said.

Me: That's what he said.

HOORAY! FINALLY, A REPORTER WITH GUTS AND BRAINS!

The preceding article was a White House report from Eric Brewer, who will periodically attend White House press briefings for Raw Story. Brewer is also a contributor at BTC News. He was the first person to ask about the Downing Street memo at a White House briefing.

AND MORE....

Quote:
MSNBC political analyst Rachel Maddow also appeared in the segment and said, "Bad enough that a presidential nominee might not know the difference between Sunni al-Qaeda and Shi'a Iran, but how much worse is it to think that he might be inspired by his own mistake to now try and make it seem true, or, even worse, that that he might actively be trying to conflate Iran and al-Qaeda in cahoots with the White House, much the way they tried to conflate Iraq and al-Qaeda, so that we'd all be hoodwinked into believing that attacking Iraq would be revenge for 9/11."

Responded Olbermann, "So, is it official that McCain's claim that he simply misspoke when he did this ... was a lie to cover the earlier set of lies? And if that is the case, what is Lieberman doing trying to correct him?"

Maddow answered, "Well, [the McCain campaign] has to figure out if they are going to play the doddering old man line or the 'I was right all along line.
'
"

VIDEO AT THE LINK, ALSO.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman