It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Newdow- You’re Insane!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:52 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Note to Michael Newdow- You’re Insane!
Filed under: Current Events, Issues, Politics, Religion — Josh @ 6:03 am
Newdow is a great example of why most people on the street don’t care for atheism or its adherents.

Atheist Sues to Remove ‘In God We Trust’ From Currency
Randy Hall, CNS News

The atheist who is fighting to take the phrase “under God” out of the Pledge of Allegiance filed a lawsuit Nov. 17 seeking to prevent the U.S. government from printing the national motto - “In God We Trust” - on any future coins or paper money.

In the suit filed with the U.S. District Court in Sacramento, Calif., Michael Newdow claims that the present use of the phrase “violates the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses of the United States Constitution,” and he seeks to stop the government from using it on mint coins and print currency, as well as in “any act or law.”

The defendants named in the 35-page document include the members of Congress, Treasury Secretary John Snow, U.S. Mint Director Henrietta Fore and Thomas Ferguson, director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

The lawsuit identifies Newdow as “an Atheist whose religious beliefs are specifically and explicitly based on the idea that there is no god. He finds belief in such an entity to be a significantly distasteful notion.”

While noting that Newdow “has no desire to impart his Atheistic beliefs upon others” and “does not need assistance dealing with the significant amounts of (Christian) Monotheism that pervades American society,” the suit states that “he finds it deeply offensive to have his government and its agents advocating for a religious view he specifically decries.”

Newdow also lists himself as the founder and a “Grand Lubitz” of the First Amendmist Church of True Science (FACTS). “Believing that ‘commandments’ are the antithesis of any true religion, FACTS has three ’suggestions’ for its members. Those suggestions are: (1) Question,
(2) Be honest and
(3) Do what’s right.
A Grand Lubitz is one who has chosen to live his or her life devoted to those principles.”

In addition, Newdow states he “is a numismatist who has been collecting coins since his early childhood.”

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, Thursday’s filing is not Newdow’s first attempt to remove religious terminology from the public square.

An earlier lawsuit sought to take the phrase “under God” out of the Pledge of Allegiance, and in that case, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Newdow. His first suit was dismissed on a technicality, so Newdow sued again, and the case is pending.

In addition, Newdow filed an injunction to prevent the recitation of a clergy-led prayer at the presidential inauguration last January, but the Supreme Court ruled that such an invocation was constitutional.

Jay Sekulow, chief counsel for the conservative American Center for Law and Justice, called Newdow’s new lawsuit “another attempt to use the legal system to remove a legitimate reference to the religious heritage of America.”

“Mere acknowledgment of God by the government cannot be said to be ‘establishment of religion,’ such that it would violate the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution,” Sekulow said. “The nation’s history is replete with examples of acknowledgment of religious belief in the public sector.”

Therefore, “our national motto, ‘In God We Trust,’ is not only permissible, but constitutional as well,” Sekulow added, noting that the Supreme Court has on several occasions referenced the national motto as a legitimate expression of our religious heritage.

“The underlying premise of the national motto can be traced to our founding,” Sekulow said.

“The Declaration of Independence says that we are endowed by our Creator to have certain unalienable rights. The founders recognized that rights and liberties derive from an authority higher than government, which means that government cannot take these rights and liberties away,” Sekulow added.

While stating that “litigation filed by Michael Newdow must be taken seriously since he has now twice attempted to have the pledge declared unconstitutional,” Sekulow said that the ACLJ is “ready for a fight” to protect the national motto, even if it goes all the way to the Supreme Court.

Interesting info on Newdow and the founders and their religious beliefs.

Proving that Newdow is insane (outside of the fact that he lied and used his own daughter as a national pawn in his sick game), he’s got a musical about his perverse battle to rid God from this nation, and he even has a CD. MSNBC has a story on this insane man’s lack of real hobbies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:17 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

This I have to admit is ironic to the point of absurdity. What I find is ironic is not the fact that this man is trying to have In God We Trust taken off the US currency, it is the fact that the Religious Wrong are fighting it.

MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. I wonder if God would want something that HE considers to be evil to have his name all over it. I wonder if HE would think that instead of worshiping him, they were worshiping money?

As I said, ironic.

CrimsonEagle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:49 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

that is a very good and interesting point . i never thought of it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:14 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Bucky, do you have any knowledge whatsoever about American history? Do you know where the phrase came to be on our currency? You freakish Taliban-like fundamentalists like to make it sound as if the founding fathers put that God stuff on the dollar. In that, you are either woefully ignorant, or you are willfully lying. Either way your are a Fundamentalist Idiot.

Quote:
History of 'In God We Trust'

The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.
One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.

You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not shattered beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries of succeeding centuries rightly reason from our past that we were a heathen nation? What I propose is that instead of the goddess of liberty we shall have next inside the 13 stars a ring inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION; within the ring the allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the American flag, bearing in its field stars equal to the number of the States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD, LIBERTY, LAW.

This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object. This would relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism. This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed. From my hearth I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters.

To you first I address a subject that must be agitated.

As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:
Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins.
You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition.

Link

Bucky, you and your fundamentalist cohorts seem very uncomfortable living in a secular society like the United States.

On the other hand we want to keep our secular Constitution.

If you, and your fellow fundies want to write a new constitution, I would invite you to leave us, and find your own piece of land on which you can establish the theocratic dictatorship you desire.

Tell you what, we'll give you Idaho.

Last edited by shoeless on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:20 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

what was that brainless, did you say something? all i smell is bullshit. how does it feel to be shoeless and brainless?

maybe if you get a job and put down the herb you could afford to buy some shoes then you would only be brainless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:28 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

buckshot wrote:
what was that brainless, did you say something? all i smell is bullshit. how does it feel to be shoeless and brainless?

maybe if you get a job and put down the herb you could afford to buy some shoes then you would only be brainless.

Good retort Buckaroo! You sure put me in my place! Can't argue with that sort of reasoning!