It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teacher under fire for his Cheney-9/11 theory
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:40 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/21/Sept.1 ... index.html

Teacher under fire for his Cheney-9/11 theory
State legislators demand college bar him from teaching Islam course.

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- More than 60 state lawmakers are urging the University of Wisconsin-Madison to fire an instructor who has argued that the U.S. government orchestrated the September 11 terrorist attacks.

A letter sent Thursday and signed by 52 Assembly representatives and nine state senators condemns a decision to let Kevin Barrett teach an introductory class on Islam this fall.

U.W.-Madison Provost Pat Farrell launched a review after Barrett spoke last month on a talk show about his views that the terrorist attacks were the result of a government conspiracy to spark war in the Middle East. After the review, Farrell said Barrett was a qualified instructor who can present his views as one perspective on the attacks.

Barrett has said he thinks the most likely theory about the 9/11 plot is that it was an "inside job" organized and commanded by Vice President Dick Cheney.(Watch why Barrett thinks Dick Cheney authorized 9/11 -- 1:45)

"I still have every expectation this will be a very positive educational experience for our students," Farrell said Thursday. "Some are upset about Mr. Barrett's viewpoints on 9/11 and don't want to pay much attention to what makes for a quality educational experience."

Republican Rep. Steve Nass said the lawmakers' letter, which called Barrett's views "academically dishonest," sends a strong message to top U.W. leaders.

"When 61 legislators condemn a decision by U.W.-Madison and demand the dismissal of Kevin Barrett, the leadership of the U.W. System operates at its own peril if it continues to ignore views of the taxpayers," Nass said in a statement.

Barrett has said Nass was "only interested in name-calling and witch hunting."

The state Assembly last week refused to take up a proposed resolution supported by Nass calling on university to fire Barrett, who will get $8,247 as a part-time instructor this fall.

In Colorado, another professor has been under fire for an essay likening white-collar victims of the September 11 attacks to Nazi official Adolf Eichmann, a key planner of the Holocaust.

University of Colorado officials concluded that ethnic studies professor Ward Churchill could not be fired over the essay because of free-speech protections, but they launched an investigation into allegations of academic misconduct.

A faculty committee concluded he committed research misconduct and university officials said last month that he should be fired. Churchill has appealed to keep his job.

You knew it was coming. Get you torches and pitchforks. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH Free speech at its finest. Well I think the president is a bubble head......well I guess Im fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
In Colorado, another professor has been under fire for an essay likening white-collar victims of the September 11 attacks to Nazi official Adolf Eichmann, a key planner of the Holocaust.

There you have it....Eichmann, cloned into Karl Rove. :!:

(If those two were English professors they could ask their students to read Ira Levin's "The Boys From Brazil." Discussion could follow on which person in Bush's entourage is which Nazi clone. THEN they'd really be tarred and feathered.)

Quote:
A letter sent Thursday and signed by 52 Assembly representatives and nine state senators condemns a decision to let Kevin Barrett teach an introductory class on Islam this fall.

Who were these people and what are their backgrounds?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Teacher under fire for his Cheney-9/11 theory
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:20 am 
Hear Me Roar!

justinmoon22 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/21/Sept.11.prof.ap/index.html

Teacher under fire for his Cheney-9/11 theory
State legislators demand college bar him from teaching Islam course.

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- More than 60 state lawmakers are urging the University of Wisconsin-Madison to fire an instructor who has argued that the U.S. government orchestrated the September 11 terrorist attacks.

U.W.-Madison Provost Pat Farrell launched a review after Barrett spoke last month on a talk show about his views that the terrorist attacks were the result of a government conspiracy to spark war in the Middle East. After the review, Farrell said Barrett was a qualified instructor who can present his views as one perspective on the attacks.

Barrett has said he thinks the most likely theory about the 9/11 plot is that it was an "inside job" organized and commanded by Vice President Dick Cheney.(Watch why Barrett thinks Dick Cheney authorized 9/11 -- 1:45)

"I still have every expectation this will be a very positive educational experience for our students," Farrell said Thursday. "Some are upset about Mr. Barrett's viewpoints on 9/11 and don't want to pay much attention to what makes for a quality educational experience."

Republican Rep. Steve Nass said the lawmakers' letter, which called Barrett's views "academically dishonest," sends a strong message to top U.W. leaders.

"When 61 legislators condemn a decision by U.W.-Madison and demand the dismissal of Kevin Barrett, the leadership of the U.W. System operates at its own peril if it continues to ignore views of the taxpayers," Nass said in a statement.

Barrett has said Nass was "only interested in name-calling and witch hunting."

The state Assembly last week refused to take up a proposed resolution supported by Nass calling on university to fire Barrett, who will get $8,247 as a part-time instructor this fall.

University of Colorado officials concluded that ethnic studies professor Ward Churchill could not be fired over the essay because of free-speech protections, but they launched an investigation into allegations of academic misconduct.

A faculty committee concluded he committed research misconduct and university officials said last month that he should be fired. Churchill has appealed to keep his job.

You knew it was coming. Get you torches and pitchforks. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH Free speech at its finest. Well I think the president is a bubble head......well I guess Im

fired.

This is really sad to keep reading stories like this. Free speech is really under attack it seems. I have read articles which outline the fact that more college teachers are afraid to speak out because their jobs would be at risk. Administrators are worried about funding for research from the private sector is another concern if people speak freely. For example, few teachers talk about 9/11 conspiracy theories because it is just not done. They are labelled as wingnuts or whatever. But, basically what is going on is that free speech is being supressed. Is it really anti-American to criticize your government? I think we know the answer to that one.
Is America a dictatorship or what?

Remember what the big man said:

In his famous book On Liberty, John Stuart Mill maintained that silencing an opinion is a “particular evil.” If the opinion is right, we are “robbed of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth”; and if it’s wrong, we are deprived of a deeper understanding of the truth in “its collision with error.”