Post subject: Lynne Stewart Trial?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:40 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

please forgive and ignore if this has already been posted

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050307&s=cole[url]

The Lynne Stewart Trial
by David Cole

On February 10, a jury in New York City convicted longtime activist attorney Lynne Stewart and two others on all counts in one of the Bush Administration's most heralded terrorism trials since 9/11. Stewart, a 65-year-old who has never committed a violent act, now faces twenty to thirty years in prison. Do you feel safer?

Perhaps more than any other, this case illustrates how out of hand things have gotten in the "war on terrorism." To inflate its successes in ferreting out terrorism, the Justice Department turned an administrative infraction into a terrorism conviction that, unless reversed, will likely send Stewart to prison for the rest of her life. To make sure the charges would stick, the prosecution tried the case in the most inflammatory and prejudicial way possible, introducing as "background" reams of evidence of terrorism that had nothing to do with Stewart's actions.

Last edited by RavioLee on Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:18 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I need your help please. I've been GAGGED at About.com for posting the above article. If I've violated ANY copyright policy here, please tell me. I am apologizing in advance, I meant no harm. Here's what they posted to me there.

"Your posting privileges have been set to "gag" because I cannot contact you privately regarding this copyright violation.
Please contact me at uspolitics.tos at gmail.com - or any member of the moderation team - about removing the gag. Once we know that you understand the copyright policy, the gag will be lifted.
Thank you.
Kathy"

I've edited the above article per About.com's copyright policy, I hope I haven't caused a problem here at TNL