It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROE V. WADE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROE V. WADE

Well, it's a day late, but what the heck?

Quote:
On this anniversary of one of the wisest decisions ever to have come from The Supreme Court, I would like to impart some truth, especially to those of you who are here today to protest.

Rank-and-file so-called “pro-lifers” are clogging D.C. streets and subways for an ineffective, useless ruse. Movement leaders are not actually interested in stopping abortions.

Anyone who spends enough time on the issue would know and ought to tell you the truth about the abortion issue, which is this: There is no law and no court ruling that can prevent an abortion.

This is true. Abortion was not, as some would have you believe, invented in 1970. Women have probably been attempting to “get rid of it” ever since they started getting pregnant. Witness this seldom-quoted Bible verse from Genesis:

Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived Cain, saying “Were that the Lord hath invented a stairwell, so that I might throw myself down upon it and miscarry. I am simply too young to be a mother, what with my hopes and dreams of graduating from Paradise Community College and having a successful career as a phlebotomist.”

All right, I admit it. I made that up. And, I’m probably going to Hell. But it’s not far from the truth. The abortion issue in the United States is probably as old as the United States. Historically, it wasn’t even an issue anyone gave a care about until the mid-19th century, when male doctors decided to shove the pharmacists and the doulas out. The fact is that this fight’s genesis has less to do with modern religious or ethical concerns than it has to do with the economic realities of epochs past. This is too often true when discussing prohibition.

There is no law and no court ruling that can prevent an abortion. Reproductive choice is the only naturally enforceable position because women among a rock, a hard place, and a clinic will most often beeline for the latter, even if the clinic is in the back of a VW Microbus. But preventing a return to those dark days and working to make abortion less needed do not have to be opposing purposes. Keep it safe
. Keep it legal. Make it rare. That should be the ideal.

LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman