It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Steele Doesn’t Know What The First Amendment Says
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael Steele Doesn’t Know What The First Amendment Says

This morning, RNC Chairman Michael Steele came out of isolation and guest-hosted Bill Bennett’s Morning in America. During the program, a caller asked Steele about the constitutionality of the 90 percent bonus tax passed by the House yesterday. The caller said that he believed that the tax was unconstitutional because “the first amendment…specifically states that a law cannot be passed to specifically target a person or a group of people.”

The caller was apparently trying to reference the ban on bills of attainder in Article I of the U.S. Constitution, not the first amendment. Apparently unfamiliar with the purpose of the first amendment, Steele responded, “That’s right!”:

CALLER: I noticed a couple people now talking about the Constitution and I’m told on the law they are currently trying to pass in order to tax all of the bonus pay. Well I believe, well, actually I know it is against the constitution. I believe it is the first amendment that specifically states that a law cannot be passed to specifically target a person or a group of people.

STEELE: That’s right!

CALLER: And we’ve got a president who is supposedly a constitutional scholar.

STEELE: Right. Right.

Listen here:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Michael Steele Doesn’t Know What The First Amendment Says
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:53 am 

Here's the info on the 90% tax. (By the way, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, omg! I love this shit. :bounce: )

Quote:
The US House of Representatives last night overwhelmingly voted to slap a 90% tax on bonuses for top executives at bailed-out firms such as AIG.

Lawmakers voted 328-93 for the legislation as the outcry over the pay-outs raised the heat on Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.

'We want our money back, and we want our money back now,' Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said during the often bitter debate.
Advertisement

The 90% tax, written with AIG in mind, would apply to employees whose total annual pay exceeded $250,000 at firms which received more than $5 billion in government rescue funds.

'Today's vote rightly reflects the outrage that so many feel over the lavish bonuses that AIG provided its employees at the expense of the taxpayers who have kept this failed company afloat,' President Barack Obama said in a statement.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0320/aig.html