It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fear of Tyranny Sweeping America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fear of Tyranny Sweeping America
by Sherwood Ross | Oct 16 2006 -

Fear for an individual's personal security common to a people whose leaders are taking their nation down the road to dictatorship has begun to grip America.

In church this Sunday one man said only half in jest, "When the arrests begin I will probably be the first one picked up." He told of a woman he knew personally just released from a mental institution in Texas where, he said, the Federal government had locked her up for a year after she tried to show officials "proof" Iraq's Saddam Hussein had no WMD.

I found this anecdote incredible until I recalled a recent reliable press account of a man arrested by the Secret Service merely for politely telling Vice President Cheney after hearing him speak that he disagreed with his policies.

Whether the story of the woman tossed into an asylum is factual, there are growing numbers of people who fear retribution for exercising their right of free speech. People warn their friends: Better not say that in public. Better not put that in writing.

After hearing the story of the woman's arrest, a second congregation member stood up to warn dictatorships commit their dark deeds out of sight of the general public. He told of growing up in Argentina under the junta, oblivious to the fact the torture barracks was within blocks of his home. Life went on normally even as people were murdered, and he prayed America would not suffer a like fate.

LINK TO SOURCE AND REST OF STORY

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Nice but ..
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:18 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Good story but I don't think most are aware. They are to busy watching the Tube (when they have time) and believing all they see / hear.