It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SCOTUS and the future for Americans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:27 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well, now we see the fruits of Bush seeding the Judiciary with his buddies.

Quote:
We speak with famed First Amendment lawyer Martin Garbus about his new book, "The Next 25 Years: The New Supreme Court and What It Means for Americans." Garbus says, “When it comes to questions of journalism, questions of the First Amendment, questions of privilege and questions of investigative reporting, this Supreme Court is going to be very anti-media.” -Martin Garbus, partner in the law firm of Davis & Gilbert LLP. Time Magazine calls him "one of the best trial lawyers in the country," while the National Law Journal has named him one of the country's top ten litigators.
You also know him as the defender of Josh Wolf!
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl? ... 12/1540217
Quote:
AMY GOODMAN: Where does the Supreme Court fit into this? What does the next twenty-five years look like?

MARTIN GARBUS: I think the Supreme Court is not going to be adverse to the government. I think that when it comes to questions of journalism and questions of the First Amendment and question of privilege and questions of investigative reporting, this Supreme Court is going to be very anti-the media. I think Roberts and Alito, who with Scalia and Thomas and Kennedy, those five people who now dominate the court, are going to be people who are going to be very, very hostile to the media. So with respect to the next twenty-five years, they're going to be hostile to a lot of other things. There's the famous integration case, Brown v. Board of Education, and fundamentally that's going to be overruled this term.
AMY GOODMAN: Your first chapter, Martin Garbus, “The President Against the People.” How?

MARTIN GARBUS: I think ultimately what the court is also going to do is they're going to extend the whole question of the unitary presidency. They're going to give Bush, or whatever president follows, a great deal of power. Roberts and Alito, again, and Scalia and Thomas believe that the president has sole control over foreign affairs, that the president, as commander-in-chief, gets all kind of powers, and with respect to the past decisions that we've had, with Guantanamo, etc., you had O'Connor there, who was basically a ballast, and I think you're going to find the court making very, very different decisions now with respect to Iraq-related issues.

AMY GOODMAN: And state religion against the people?

MARTIN GARBUS: I think that's one of the major areas. Bush’s faith-based initiative has resulted in more money going into the churches this year than have gone on in the entire last century. It's an enormous money flow. I have a case now where we're challenging it in New York with respect to the Salvation Army. What a faith-based initiative means is that the federal government can pour money into religious organizations, if the religious organizations are doing the kinds of work that a state organization could do. For example, if the --

AMY GOODMAN: Five seconds.

MARTIN GARBUS: -- if the Salvation Army is taking care of children or homeless, then they also are allowed proselytize using federal funds.

Michael Gordon and Judith Miller are just some examples of the way the first amendment is being abused- Free to print what you're told is too much like living in the land of do what you're told! Free to preach with taxpayers funds.

Like our freedoms. You're free to do what you're told- after that, you could go to jail. So you better want to stay free by doing what you're told! Obey+Believe- Read This+Think This! Thou Shalt/Shalt Not.............

This is a short interview at the end of the show as they gave Josh Wolf time. All 3 articles were excellent today and all interconnect. A perfect day for Democracy Now.

Perfect truly is the destroyer of Excellent.

This Perfectly exemplifies the flaws in the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and that despite being an Excellent document, it is in dire need of patching up. After 200+ years the design flaws and holes are starting to show through.

In other words- It ain't perfect! But with the proper repairs, it could work and strive towards perfection- with the help of the people of course!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.