It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Collecting of details on travelers documented
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20913640/]Collecting of details on travelers documented
Gathering of personal information violates Privacy Act, activists contend

[/url]

The U.S. government is collecting electronic records on the travel habits of millions of Americans who fly, drive or take cruises abroad, retaining data on the persons with whom they travel or plan to stay, the personal items they carry during their journeys, and even the books that travelers have carried, according to documents obtained by a group of civil liberties advocates and statements by government officials.

The personal travel records are meant to be stored for as long as 15 years, as part of the Department of Homeland Security's effort to assess the security threat posed by all travelers entering the country. Officials say the records, which are analyzed by the department's Automated Targeting System, help border officials distinguish potential terrorists from innocent people entering the country.

But new details about the information being retained suggest that the government is monitoring the personal habits of travelers more closely than it has previously acknowledged. The details were learned when a group of activists requested copies of official records on their own travel. Those records included a description of a book on marijuana that one of them carried and small flashlights bearing the symbol of a marijuana leaf.

The Automated Targeting System has been used to screen passengers since the mid-1990s, but the collection of data for it has been greatly expanded and automated since 2002, according to former DHS officials.

Officials yesterday defended the retention of highly personal data on travelers not involved in or linked to any violations of the law. But civil liberties advocates have alleged that the type of information preserved by the department raises alarms about the government's ability to intrude into the lives of ordinary people. The millions of travelers whose records are kept by the government are generally unaware of what their records say, and the government has not created an effective mechanism for reviewing the data and correcting any errors, activists said.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Hasn't anyone ever wondered why we get these little plastic cards at the grocery and gas stations? They give us "perks" for using them. They are tracking our spending habits, what we buy the most, how often we buy.....Big Business is watching us.

Big Business.....Big Government........is there any difference?

I use them to get the discounts...I have switched cards with friends. I have used bogus names and addresses on a couple of them. It freaks me out! I don't want ANY business knowing how often I need T-paper or feminine products!

I bet they can input a name - get a print-out of:
Where they shop
What they eat
How often they travel
What they buy
How many kids
What they drive
How often they shit
If they need meds to sleep
If they need meds to function
If they need meds to screw

You get the picture...............

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL! You are so funny, sadie...and I bet they know just what you did in PERU...what sites you visited, how long you stayed at each site, what you bought, what you ate, and how often you posted back to TVNL! LOL!

Speaking of plastic cards at the grocery store...when Mom died, I found her little plastic shopping card she kept on Dad's keyring. I stuck it on my keyring, just in case I ever forgot my larger card. I've used it multiple times and nobody has ever said a thing to me. Once a member, always a member....I guess! AND one time I was in line and didn't have any of my cards and the clerk asked a person behind me if she could borrow her card, so I could get the discounts! The lady happily complied! I never said a word, except "thanks" to the friendly stranger! The manager of the store where I shop for my groceries kept a card to use in the event people forgot theirs...go figure.. :roll:

It's funny because, if the government is using those cards to track our purchases when we grocery shop, they're being set up for a heck of a lot of confusion!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman