It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Good Pro-Animal Magazine
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best Friends magazine.

This mag is really nice...good stories and photos, good ads, and good quality paper. (There are some religious conotations within it, which aren't all that bad. I just ignore them)...but the overall presentation is excellent.

I think any animal lover would like it.

http://www.BestFriends.com

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:49 pm 
Deal With It!

It starts out innocently enough... A glance and then a long look.

Then there's the purr and the rub. The next thing you know you're hooked and you take the cat home...

That's how I wound up with 4 cats... You want I should get a magazine that'll tease me into a few more??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We've been "dog less" for about 2-1/2 years now. The kids are whining they want a dog.

I'd rather have a horse, but I can't keep it in my suburban garage. The health department sort of frowns on it!

Okay... I whined enough! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:27 am 

Oh, you would mention horse. I have loved horses all of my life.

I live surrounded by cows, not a horse to be seen.

whatryagoondo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:32 am 
Deal With It!

dori wrote:
Oh, you would mention horse. I have loved horses all of my life.

I had one when I was a kid. I do miss riding. It's been over 30 years now.

My kids love to talk about their dad growing up on a farm. No farm... Just horses, ducks, chickens, pigeons, rabbits, guinea pigs etc etc etc...

Fahgedabboutit...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's definitely a magazine designed to touch the heart of an animal lover, Seamus.

In this month's issue, there's a piece about some famous people and who and who did not love cats. I was very disappointed when I read that Eisenhower did not. In fact, he'd given orders for any and all cats to be shot on sight at his Gettysberg farm. :evil: That really put a damper on any recent admiration I might have been having for Ike. On the other hand, Abe Lincoln loved cats and so did Sir Isaac Newton!

Horses! YES! You should take your wife & kids and all of you move to a place in the country...of course, that's easy to do in this day and time, isn't it? :roll:

Waaaay back there when I was single, thirtysomething, skinny, and looked great in a pair of jeans :P I dated a fellow who owned several horses.

Every weekend that my son visited his father, this cowboy and I'd take off with a bunch of other "horsey" people and ride along mountain trails, camping at night, singing around the campfire, having a few drinks, eating good food, enjoying life...you know the scene. The funny thing about it was...I'd never been on a horse in my life.

However, I do love animals, and the biggest horse of all, named The Colonel, took a liking to me. I just heaved myself into the saddle, remembered a few things I'd seen on tv when people rode horses, sort of watched the others and how they handled their horses, and that was it. Colonel and I seemed to be 'in tune" with each other. He obeyed everything I asked him to do and he never frightened me. That horse I grew to love, but not the cowboy. He was fun but not someone I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, even if I did love The Colonel.

When the cowboy went riding into the sunset I knew I'd miss that horse a lot more than I'd miss the cowboy. That was 20 years ago, and I've not been on a horse since. I've often wondered if the opportunity arose, would I still be able to take naturally to another horse, or was that initial contact just a fluke because of the special personality of The Colonel and the bond we established?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman