It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: God this sucks, my mom's cats recently died!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:14 am 
Hear Me Roar!

My mom has two cats. One I got for her as a stray four years ago, and the newest member, from my niece as a newborn kitten, 18 months ago.

Long story short, she was making coffee one morning, two weeks ago. And like two cats do, patiently (sometimes) waited for her to grab a couple cans of cat food. As my mom grabbed the two cans, she heard Blake, make a short sound. Not a meow sound, but a quick sound, like he was in pain. Right before she turned around, she heard him fall to the ground. When she turned around and went immediately over there to see him, he was gone!!

She called me, and I went over there to check it out. God, it was so sad. He was like, just laying there, with his little eyes still wide open.

My mom had two red Christmas bows on both her cats. Christ, it was so sad, taking that little bow off of Blake. He was such an affectionate kitty!!

...and burying the little guy, was no "walk in the park" either!! :( :( :(

I grabbed an internet connection later, and found out, that it was probably a heart condition. One being heartworms, from mosquitoes injecting cats with this certain larvae from other animals. From there, the larvae lives inside the cat, anywhere from 6 -18 months. It can grow into either the typical heartworm, that usually breeds in the right side of the cat's heart, (more blood or blood vessels possibly?) or remain in larvae form, either causing the cat to hemmorage, or when the larvae eventually die, causing a blood clot, and instantly killing the animal.

i guess what makes these heartworms dangerous in cats, is that it's hard to detect. If you're lucky enough to have your cat develope symptoms of heavy breathing, sudden laziness, (and not really sleeping more than they already so, just laying around basically) or a change in their bowel habits, then you may have a chance to diagnose the problem. Unfortunately, and if you're lucky enough to have your cat still alive at this point, it could be diagnosed as some other feline heart condition, that they possibly might have a cure for. But what makes this a bastard, is that the symptoms of feline heartworms, are very similar to the symptoms of a feline heart condition. While the feline heart condition, CAN, sometimes be tracked down effectively, most heartworms can't. (until it's too late) This essentially, making the diagnosis of a heart condition, the "diagnosis of choice," while the cat really dies of heartworms/larvae!!

God, I've known about heartworms in dogs for years, as I've owned dogs before, but not cats. I never knew that treatment for cats, was much more difficult, (and different) than dogs.

My mom took very good care of both her cats. She had their regular checkups with her vet religiously.

It's so sad to see Skeeter now. Blake use to bug the shit out of him. Especially late at night. Sometimes, I'll be at my mom's house late at night. Skeeter, who usually is more laid back than Blake was, will now, get a "20 minute energy buzz," and run around the house frantickly. This was approximately the amount of time, Blake was driving Skeeter nuts, by wanting to play with him. I got some video of it, and it's fucking hilarious, how Blake, use to "circle the wagon," so to speak, right before he'd "pounce" on Skeeter.

...and then Blake would lick Skeeter's ears afterwards!!

God, they were so cute together!! :D :( :? :cry:

It almost makes me cry, watching the poor guy now!! (Skeeter) :( :( :(

Post subject: Re: God this sucks, my mom's cats recently died!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:38 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

expiretheliars wrote:
My mom has two cats. One I got for her as a stray four years ago, and the newest member, from my niece as a newborn kitten, 18 months ago.

Long story short, she was making coffee one morning, two weeks ago. And like two cats do, patiently (sometimes) waited for her to grab a couple cans of cat food. As my mom grabbed the two cans, she heard Blake, make a short sound. Not a meow sound, but a quick sound, like he was in pain. Right before she turned around, she heard him fall to the ground. When she turned around and went immediately over there to see him, he was gone!!

She called me, and I went over there to check it out. God, it was so sad. He was like, just laying there, with his little eyes still wide open.

My mom had two red Christmas bows on both her cats. Christ, it was so sad, taking that little bow off of Blake. He was such an affectionate kitty!!

...and burying the little guy, was no "walk in the park" either!! :( :( :(

I grabbed an internet connection later, and found out, that it was probably a heart condition. One being heartworms, from mosquitoes injecting cats with this certain larvae from other animals. From there, the larvae lives inside the cat, anywhere from 6 -18 months. It can grow into either the typical heartworm, that usually breeds in the right side of the cat's heart, (more blood or blood vessels possibly?) or remain in larvae form, either causing the cat to hemmorage, or when the larvae eventually die, causing a blood clot, and instantly killing the animal.

i guess what makes these heartworms dangerous in cats, is that it's hard to detect. If you're lucky enough to have your cat develope symptoms of heavy breathing, sudden laziness, (and not really sleeping more than they already so, just laying around basically) or a change in their bowel habits, then you may have a chance to diagnose the problem. Unfortunately, and if you're lucky enough to have your cat still alive at this point, it could be diagnosed as some other feline heart condition, that they possibly might have a cure for. But what makes this a bastard, is that the symptoms of feline heartworms, are very similar to the symptoms of a feline heart condition. While the feline heart condition, CAN, sometimes be tracked down effectively, most heartworms can't. (until it's too late) This essentially, making the diagnosis of a heart condition, the "diagnosis of choice," while the cat really dies of heartworms/larvae!!

God, I've known about heartworms in dogs for years, as I've owned dogs before, but not cats. I never knew that treatment for cats, was much more difficult, (and different) than dogs.

My mom took very good care of both her cats. She had their regular checkups with her vet religiously.

It's so sad to see Skeeter now. Blake use to bug the shit out of him. Especially late at night. Sometimes, I'll be at my mom's house late at night. Skeeter, who usually is more laid back than Blake was, will now, get a "20 minute energy buzz," and run around the house frantickly. This was approximately the amount of time, Blake was driving Skeeter nuts, by wanting to play with him. I got some video of it, and it's fucking hilarious, how Blake, use to "circle the wagon," so to speak, right before he'd "pounce" on Skeeter.

...and then Blake would lick Skeeter's ears afterwards!!

God, they were so cute together!! :D :( :? :cry:

It almost makes me cry, watching the poor guy now!! (Skeeter) :( :( :(

***Re: God this sucks, my mom's cats recently died!!

God, I'm responding to my own post!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just a "typo" kids, it should of read on the headline...

My mom's CAT (just one, but unfortunately Blake) had died. :cry: :cry: :cry:

...and we both miss him :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh...I am so sorry that this has happened, ETL...and please give your mom and yourself big hugs from your TVNL friends! (((((((((ETL and your mom)))))) :cry: :cry: You are so right about feline heartworms...they're not as well-known as canine heartworms and much more difficult to treat.

I LOVE cats...I have two little refugees living with my husband and me now that we adore...Charlie and Saber. They're both black shorthairs with such unique personalities. Saber showed up on my back deck in 2003, right after I'd lost my beloved Ty Ling to oral cancer. Saber actually belonged to our neighbors but they did not look after him properly so he chose to live with us. The neighbors never got him back. :mrgreen: Charlie pranced into the yard of one of my friends in the fall of 2004. My friend has 8 dogs but Charlie showed no fear.l. He had been very well-cared for...he was healthy and had been neutered, but nobody in the neighborhood claimed him. He sleeps beside me every night while Saber hangs out on a velour throw placed on top of the "formal" dining room table! Does that bother me about a cat on the table? Not in the least! :mrgreen:

ETL...check out the Rainbow Bridge website...http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

It's a very comforting place and I've used it many times over the years to help me cope with the loss of a beloved pet.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:25 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Oh...I am so sorry that this has happened, ETL...and please give your mom and yourself big hugs from your TVNL friends! (((((((((ETL and your mom)))))) :cry: :cry: You are so right about feline heartworms...they're not as well-known as canine heartworms and much more difficult to treat.

I LOVE cats...I have two little refugees living with my husband and me now that we adore...Charlie and Saber. They're both black shorthairs with such unique personalities. Saber showed up on my back deck in 2003, right after I'd lost my beloved Ty Ling to oral cancer. Saber actually belonged to our neighbors but they did not look after him properly so he chose to live with us. The neighbors never got him back. :mrgreen: Charlie pranced into the yard of one of my friends in the fall of 2004. My friend has 8 dogs but Charlie showed no fear.l. He had been very well-cared for...he was healthy and had been neutered, but nobody in the neighborhood claimed him. He sleeps beside me every night while Saber hangs out on a velour throw placed on top of the "formal" dining room table! Does that bother me about a cat on the table? Not in the least! :mrgreen:

ETL...check out the Rainbow Bridge website...http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

It's a very comforting place and I've used it many times over the years to help me cope with the loss of a beloved pet.

***Thanks Catherine, I'll do it now. God, it was a shock. I tansferred a picture of Blake, from my digital camera, to her computer about a week ago. I took it shortly before he died. My mom started crying immediately. Don't know if it was a good thing or not. But it's pretty much all she has now. (except for some fond memories of the little guy, and there ain't nothing wrong with that)

Why can't Republicans get worms? :? :? :?
Or CAN, worms get worms?

(be nice Greg) :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please keep us updated on how you and your mother are coping with the loss of Blake, ETL...You might want to write an "Opetuary" for him and post it in our OPETUARY sticky. Mourn him, remember him, cry as much as you feel like because it's a healthy thing to do.

On Thursday evening, I went to dinner with one of my friends who had experienced the sudden loss of her cat, alsonamed Charlie. She and her husband were both very upset about it. My friend's eyes were still red from having cried so much. She said that Charlie had suddenly become unable to use his back legs and seemed to be in severe pain. This happened after ten pm, so they had rushed Charlie to a 24 hour pet clinic, about 45 miles from their home. There the vet told them that Charlie had experienced a stroke and that he was in pain. There wasn't anything that could be done for him to help him recover. My friend had to make the decision to put Charlie to sleep. Just a few hours before, she said Charlie had been behaving normally. :cry:

Rethugs are worms...the maggot kind...

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:06 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Please keep us updated on how you and your mother are coping with the loss of Blake, ETL...You might want to write an "Opetuary" for him and post it in our OPETUARY sticky. Mourn him, remember him, cry as much as you feel like because it's a healthy thing to do.

On Thursday evening, I went to dinner with one of my friends who had experienced the sudden loss of her cat, alsonamed Charlie. She and her husband were both very upset about it. My friend's eyes were still red from having cried so much. She said that Charlie had suddenly become unable to use his back legs and seemed to be in severe pain. This happened after ten pm, so they had rushed Charlie to a 24 hour pet clinic, about 45 miles from their home. There the vet told them that Charlie had experienced a stroke and that he was in pain. There wasn't anything that could be done for him to help him recover. My friend had to make the decision to put Charlie to sleep. Just a few hours before, she said Charlie had been behaving normally. :cry:

Rethugs are worms...the maggot kind...

***Rethugs are worms...the maggot kind...

God, what a dumb thing I said. Of course, they are worms. This is the reason why they go after the heart first!! (they don't have one)

DUH!! :albino: :albino: :albino:

Yes, I saw those opetuaries too Catherine. My mom has as well. I don't know if she participated in one, but does seem like a pretty "rehab" thing to do.

However, since my last post, it seems to me, that my desktop picture of the little guy, has proven to be "therapeutic" for my mom. I think her disposition is much better, and now has expressed, increasingly fond memories of Blake's life.

She's planning on getting another kitten this spring. I know Skeeter could use another "buddy."

He's starting to gain weight again, as Blake use to keep him in shape!! :bounce: