All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Cat Adoptions Banned On Halloween
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
Black Cat Adoptions Banned on Halloween
By REBECCA BOONE

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - No black cat will cross your path this Halloween, not if a northern Idaho animal shelter can help it. Like many shelters around the country, the Kootenai Humane Society in Coeur d'Alene is prohibiting black cat adoptions from now to Nov. 2, fearing the animals could be mistreated in Halloween pranks - or worse, sacrificed in some satanic ritual.

The risk may be remote, said the shelter's executive director, Phil Morgan.

"It's kind of an urban legend. But in the humane industry it's pretty typical that shelters don't do adoptions of black cats or white bunnies because of the whole satanic sacrificial thing," Morgan said. "If we prevent one animal from getting hurt, then it serves its purpose."

However, some animal experts say the practice does more to hurt animals than protect them.

"Black cats already suffer a stigma because of their color," said Gail Buchwald, vice president of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals shelter in New York City. "Why penalize them any more by limiting the times when they can be adopted?"

"Behaviorally, there's no difference from the color of the cat. It's tied into this whole mythology about the animal - don't let it cross your path or some foreboding or foreshadowing of evil - and that's an outdated superstition," she said.

It's not clear how many shelters still seasonally ban black cat adoptions, said Kim Intino, director of animal sheltering issues for the Humane Society of the United States, but the trend seems to be fading - along with the once-common bans on bunny adoptions around Easter or puppy adoptions as Christmas gifts.

"If there were people out there performing rituals with animals, then I would think that Halloween would be a time for that, but a good adoption process would tend to weed that out," Intino said. "There's going to be incidents of weird abuse that happen no matter what. The remedy is not banning black cat adoptions."

http://www.therawstory.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:25 pm 

You know, when I first started reading that I though "oh well, a little weird, but it keeps animals from getting hurt..." then I got to the line that said "satanic ritual"...fucking retarded. Those people are morons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The whole "satanic ritual" thing freaked me out. How could anyone do something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Goddamned idiots! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone who hurts a defenseless animal is beneath contempt of the lowest kind. GRRRRRRR! :angryfire: :blob4: :blob6:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:46 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Goddamned idiots! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Anyone who hurts a defenseless animal is beneath contempt of the lowest kind. GRRRRRRR! :angryfire: :blob4: :blob6:

And THEY should be 'sacrificed.' ...I've read too many disturbing stories about animal cruelty with people not getting a severe enough punishment.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/563910334

http://cbs11tv.com/watercooler/watercoo ... 21039.html