It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Raisin Poisoning in Dogs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 5620
Location: western New York

DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOGS RAISINS OR GRAPES
READ THIS STORY AND YOU WILL SOON FIND OUT WHY 


Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.
 (Below written by a vet)

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
Tuesday.He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog
in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give IV fluids at 1 Ã,½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for
thenext 48-72 hours.

 The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN wasover 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
overnight care.

 He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's.  Any exposure should give rise to immediate
concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio


from an email

_________________
Libertarianism

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group