It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feed rescued animals for free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25 pm 
Involved
Involved

Hi everyone, Im a member of a UK cat site and was wondering if you would mind me cross posting this link and possibly making it a sticky......Its a wonderful site with many causes and clicking on each of these causes everyday will be helping lots of animals, rain forest etc.....Hope you all dont mind :thumbright:

Please take a couple of minutes (even quicker for faster pc's) to click the link below....Thanks

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clic ... s?siteId=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great site, Citizen...thanks for the link.

TVNL members are animal lovers and most of us have rescued many animals from certain death. I have three cats presently. All are little refugees who have come to my door, looking for a handout, or came to me via friends and family...Saber, Charlie, and Molly.

I went with my sister today to an alternative medicine veterinary clinic, where the vet has been treating one of my sister's cats for kidney failure. The vet uses acupuncture, herbal liquids, and something that is given to the cat intravenously every other day. He was diagnosed by the regular vet over two months ago, and pronounced terminally ill. With the alternative care, the cat is gaining weight, eating anything my sister will give him, and has no trouble with his kidneys. He's energetic with clear eyes and a shiny coat. An absolute turnaround... :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:06 am 
Involved
Involved

Wow very interesting about the alternative care ;)

I have 7 cats here, all neutered and spayed, I love them all too bits....

Below is another link to the cat website i use ;)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php

Its a fantastic site with very good info on cats etc :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:07 am 

Great site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Citizen...you may or may not know about this site:

http://www.petloss.com/

It's a wonderful place to go when one is grieving for a pet who has passed on.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:32 am 

CitizenSmith, I also have seven cats. All came to my place--little house in the country--when they were dumped out on a back road to fend for themselves.

Four are still too skittery to live inside, man do I wish they were inside cats! All seven have been neutered. Outdoor cats are horrible for birds...

Thanks for the great web sites!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:13 am 

Talk about horrible for birds, my rescued outside cat (whom I call Black Cat, pretty original eh?)--the one who sooooo sweetly marked my car and killed a rat in it about a year ago-- has (of course) become our dear friend and mostly lives here (always outside, he's scared of my dogs)...anyway, he brings me a bird, squirrel, mole, rabbit, something at least every other day. Not to mention the zillions he eats without sharing with us. At first I was really upset, but I have come to accept that its his cat nature to hunt and love him anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Nice website, CS.

We have 4 cats who go in and out as they please. Fortunately, I don't think any of them has ever killed a bird.

Jimmy has been declawed, so he's no threat to the birds.

Livvy only has three legs, so even though she constantly stalks birds, she can't catch them.

Mikey is our three year old kitten. He'll never grow up enough to be an effective hunter. The squirrels in our yard regularly kick his butt.

Ozzie is the hunter of the bunch. In fact, he lives in the marshes much of the time. However, I've never seen him catch a bird. He seems to prefer rodents, as he is constantly killing and eating mice, chipmonks, and once even a rabbit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:02 pm 
Involved
Involved

Had Jimmy been declawed before you became his slave? :shock: Ooo Ouch just the thought of it :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:13 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

CitizenSmith wrote:
Had Jimmy been declawed before you became his slave? :shock: Ooo Ouch just the thought of it :cry:

No. We got him as a young kitten. He is the only cat we have ever had declawed. We hated to do it, but his scratching was incorrigible. He was destroying everything in the house. Our other cats have always done most of their scratching outside, but not Jimmy. It was either declaw him of get rid of him. It was pretty pathertic. But, he is now 12 years old, and it has never seemd to bother him. He can even climb our apple tree. He is a big orange tabby, losing his front claws never stopped him from fighting, and he has been king of the neighborhood his whole life. If you could ask him, I'm sure he would say that losing his front claws was worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:27 pm 
Involved
Involved

Its illegal in the UK.....have heard some horror stories :shock:

I actually trim my cats nails with clippers for them and they dont seem to mind "thank heavens" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:50 pm 

During the summer my sister was staying with me between moving to NY from NO and she had her cat declawed. I BEGGED her not to do it, I tried everything I could imagine from discouraging her. That poor cat got neutered and declawed on the same day. She really didn't understand until AFTER he had gotten hurt. Then she regretted it. They remove the last digit on the cat's toes...arg. Sorry Shoe, not trying to make you feel guilty. I just hate the thought of it.