It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can Atheists Be Parents?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:52 am 

Cross posted in RELIGION & PHILOSOPHY

Can Atheists Be Parents?

Time wrote:
After six years of childless marriage, John and Cynthia Burke of Newark decided to adopt a baby boy through a state agency. Since the Burkes were young, scandal-free and solvent, they had no trouble with the New Jersey Bureau of Children's Services—until investigators came to the line on the application that asked for the couple's religious affiliation.

John Burke, an atheist, and his wife, a pantheist, had left the line blank. As a result, the bureau denied the Burkes' application. After the couple began court action, however, the bureau changed its regulations, and the couple was able to adopt a baby boy from the Children's Aid and Adoption Society in East Orange.

Last year the Burkes presented their adopted son, David, now 31, with a baby sister, Eleanor Katherine, now 17 months, whom they acquired from the same East Orange agency. Since the agency endorsed the adoption, the required final approval by a judge was expected to be pro forma. Instead, Superior Court Judge William Camarata raised the religious issue.
. . . . . .

One of fundies' favorite mantras is how judicial activism is ruining America. I don't see them running to the defense of this couple when the activism favors the religious right's POV.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Can Atheists Be Parents?

I guess. My father is an atheist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Could you make a more controversial post? I'd rather walk in a mine field than address this question.

Some of the finest people are athiests. Most people function better with faith. Thats all I'm saying.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm still reeling over the fact that David is 31 and his "baby sister" is 17 months.

But I think that judge William Camarata is a ding dong. He would have given Eleanor Katherine to someone like Mike Huckabee and she'd be killing doggies.

In my house we rarely, if never talk about the "Supreme Being". One kid's too young, and the other would rather talk "American Idol".

It's best that we teach them that Britney Spears is not a Supreme Being.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.