It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teachers disciplined for Facebook postings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Teachers disciplined for Facebook postings

I sometimes marvel at the poor judgement sometimes shown by educators when they do stupid things like this!

A Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools teacher faces firing for posting derogatory comments about students on Facebook, while four others have been disciplined for posts involving "poor judgment and bad taste," spokeswoman Nora Carr said Tuesday.
WCNC, the Observer's news partner, turned up questionable pages on the social networking site by searching for people who identified themselves as CMS employees.

Superintendent Peter Gorman has recommended firing a teacher who listed "teaching chitlins in the ghetto of Charlotte" as one of her activities and drinking as one of her hobbies.

In her "About Me" section she wrote: "I am teaching in the most ghetto school in Charlotte."

...Teachers across the country have faced similar situations - enough so that NEA Today, the journal of the National Education Association, published a roundup this year. It included a Colorado English teacher fired for posting her sexually explicit poetry on MySpace, a Florida band director fired for a MySpace profile that included "his musings about sex, drugs and depression," and a Virginia art teacher fired for posting photos of his "butt art," done by painting his private parts and pressing them onto canvas.

Quote:
Last fall, according to NEA Today, the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch found teachers writing about sex, drugs and drinking on their MySpace profiles.

"There's an old lawyer's saw that goes something like this: Never put in writing anything that you wouldn't want read in open court or by your mother," concludes the article, written by Michael Simpson of the NEA's legal office. "Maybe it's time for an updated adage: Never put in electronic form anything that you wouldn't want viewed by a million people, including your colleagues, students, and supervisors - and your mother
."

However, I'm also torn about what constitutes free speech in America...

As one person commented, "Going back 2 centuries?

Quote:
This is an infringement on the freedom of speech. Especially the part about the Colorado teacher's poetry and the Virginia art teacher's butt art. I would like to remind the public that possibly two-thirds of what the academia considers to be the best in art and literature are sexually explicit. If these teachers are fired, that means the majority of Renaissance art, as well as other cultural art from around the whole must be removed from the curriculum. Or the schools are just being hypocritical. (The latter is generally the case.)
Even most of Greek and Roman mythology is incestuous and perverted, and I was taught that as literature in the fifth grade.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman