It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Columbine Questions We Still Don’t Ponder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ten years certainly go by in a hurry...Today marks the tenth anniversary....of the Columbine tragedy:

Columbine Questions We Still Don’t Ponder

By David Sirota

As Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold’s posthumous infamy turns 10 on April 20, I wish I were surprised that Columbine-like shootings are still happening, or even that our national discussion about violence hasn’t yet matured past gun control and video games.

I wish I were surprised, but sadly, I’d be surprised if it were any different because we still refuse to ask the most uncomfortable questions.

Columbine was the “Pulp Fiction” of violence: not the first of its genre, but the model to which all contemporaries are compared. And lately, Columbine derivatives have been coming at a faster clip.

After each tragedy, it’s the same thing. Liberals want us to wonder why gun laws let anyone access deadly weapons. Conservatives insist we question why video games supposedly turn down-to-earth kids into murderers.

These queries satiate two desires. In a country that ascribes hubristic “exceptionalism” to itself and berates self-analysis as “hating America,” we seek absolution via scapegoat, and so we upbraid bogeymen like firearms and Xboxes. Similarly, in a democracy increasingly conducting its politics through red-blue filters and 140-character Twitter updates, we crave Occam’s razors—and none are sharper than oversimplified arguments about gun control and video games.

But what about the questions and answers that aren’t so simple?

For example, isn’t violence a predictable byproduct of our economy? When torture victims are waterboarded, they freak out. When a winner-take-all economy tortures society, should we be shocked that a few lunatics go over the edge?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Columbine Questions We Still Don’t Ponder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

It is sad to see Columbine like killings spring up from time to time. Gun control is one issue. But doing better to prevent more and more people from "going over the edge" should be another issue.

The economy does play its role. But I wish we could do better by preventing people from "snapping" like they do.

What's there about schools and peer pressure that we haven't addressed. Surely, Columbine is the extreme, but what about those who suffer to a lesser degree? Kids should feel welcome and respected in school. Peer pressure shouldn't cause kids to withdrawal.

That LA Fitness shooting makes me think that somebody needs to teach boys-to-men that having girlfriends should not be an obsessive goal. Sex education is important, but maybe we should be also talking about how to handle relationships.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.