It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homeless feeding ban rejected
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:20 am 

UNCONSTITUTIONAL ORDINANCE: Homeless feeding ban rejected

Judge throws out case against California man

By LYNNETTE CURTIS
REVIEW-JOURNAL

A Las Vegas Municipal Court judge on Wednesday threw out a case against a California man who was cited in August under a new ordinance that bars the public from feeding homeless people in city parks.

In dismissing the misdemeanor case against Patrick Band, Judge George Assad said the ordinance was unconstitutional because it was vague and denied equal protection of the law.

The city attorney's office said it filed an appeal of the decision Thursday morning.

Allen Lichtenstein, general counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada, filed a federal lawsuit in August asking a judge to declare the ordinance unconstitutional. He said Assad's ruling supports his assertion that the ordinance is just that.

"There is absolutely no justification and no basis for marshals, police or anyone else to be arresting or citing people based on this law that a Las Vegas judge has ruled unconstitutional," Lichtenstein said.

http://tinyurl.com/y8bnyk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:55 pm 

Aparently I am not clear on this.

We are supposed to be 'a Christian country', right? We aren't, but I still hear that constantly.

Chirst said, feed the poor.

Our government said NOT to feed the poor.

Can someone explain this to me?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Maybe Nina can get this one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:58 pm 
WHO, in their right minds, would pass this kind of hateful ordinance? With all the many problems in the world, WHAT was the pressing need for banning charitable citizens from helping those less fortunate than them? I am constantly amazed at how Govt--at all levels--thinks it can micro-manage us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:29 am 

Unfortunately, too many in our governments are not in their right minds. Or is that they are in their RIGHT minds?

The neocons that I know are hard hearted, cruel, arrogant, pitiless, malevolent, self-centered and often witless. Mosst of them call themselves 'Christian', which gives Christianity a bad name.

Too bad, because Christ had a loving message for us. There is no love aside from self love in the neocon.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:39 pm 

I had my suspicions on the why's and so searched for some more articles on the subject. It was as I suspected. The city just doesn't like the looks of it plain and simple. Sort of reminds me of the movie "Pleasantville" Guess if they can't see the homeless people then in their minds they don't exist.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/28/us/28 ... yt&emc=rss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

It seems funny to me that this is what they're banning in Las Vegas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:01 am 
There are homeless people who congregate in a park near where I live. I will say that they can APPEAR threatening, at times, but I've never had a dangerous encounter with any of them. Sure, they'll ask for money, but its their right, isn't it? Some give, some don't! Big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:18 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"They appear threatening" ..haha...it's all about being afraid of those who look different..or dirty. (nothing personal towards you Lib.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:07 am 
Oh, no offense taken, jobot! Like I said, they can APPEAR threatening, but they are just different people than the average American deals with. I still see no good reason to sweep them under the rug. If anything, I think this congregation of homeless acts as an in-your-face reminder that not everyone is living the American dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Libertine wrote:
I think this congregation of homeless acts as an in-your-face reminder that not everyone is living the American dream.

...Or even coming close to it.