It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Should corporal punishment be put back in public schools?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:41 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

jobot wrote:
nygreenguy wrote:
But does anyone care that the experts say spanking isnt exactly the best option for discipline?

I appreciate the fact that experts say "spanking isn't exactly the best option for discipline." For sure!
IMO, not only is it not the best option, but it's harmful emotially and physically, and violates their body...whether they are hit on the butt, hand, or whereever.

Nyg, I'm sure that you realize why I said what I said in my last post.

Actually, i was hoping my statement was supporting what you were saying. Sure, being a parent help, but just being a parent doesnt make one an expert. This is why i posted the article from child psychologists that shows that spanking IS bad and does have negative side effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
And just because somebody does not have a child, does not mean that they know nothing about discipline.

your so right on that. There are many people making a good living by using discipline on people. Apparently there are people who enjoy being "spanked"

Has a study ever been done on if those people had been spanked as a child?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:11 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Cat, the kids have always created their own rules in my classroom. It worked for me for about 15 years. I have never had problems with the "bad" kids, I have always had good rapport with them. Actually, they were the ones who would get after someone breaking the rules.

The last three years have been a nightmare with each year a little worse than the last. When we were making our rules this year - you would not even believe some of the ones they came up with (being rude and laughing). One of them was for the teacher to supply candy everyday. No written assignments was another one. I knew I was doomed from the start.

Ohio has started a data base with each school district. When a student is suspended or expelled it goes in the data base for all to see and it is a mark against your district. Students who don't pass the proficiency test are each a mark against you. If students are absent, that is another mark. Our school officer goes to the homes and brings them to school.
Every mark is federal money withheld from the district.

The goal is to keep all students in school as much as possible. It has forced the school to keep all the disruptions in school too. They have run out of options. ISS is ALWAYS full. There is no where to put the problems. We need special teachers to work with with these troubled students. We do have SBH (severe behavior handicapped) and that used to help but now the criminally insane are in those classes and the true SBH kids are in the regular classroom. I am not trained for SBH, none of the regular ed teachers are.

We have a teacher this year who came from Cincinnati Public trying to get away from so many discipline issues. He said we were worse. For the first time in 18 years I fear for the safety of my students as well as my own.

I am documenting everything and boy could I write a book. If parents only knew what was really going on they would run the super. out. Problem is, we are a poor district and need all the federal funds we can get. There has to come a point when the administration says enough is enough and the money isn't worth it. It is probably going to take the death of a student or a teacher to wake some people up.

It isn't just our district. I have reletives who teach in other districts and they say the same is happening to them. It all stems for NCLB and the withholding of federeal funds.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:24 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Early in my career, I did paddle a few kids...and that was limited to one swat on his or her backside with a small wooden paddle (I still have it) and a witness was always present...usually the principal or another teacher. It gave me no pleasure, believe me, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the behavior of the kids, either.

When a group of kids, regardless of age, has a voice in how they are governed, it seems to make them more responsible and more willing to obey rules they've all had a part in creating.

Another thing I hated to see any teacher do was to punish kids by making them write sentences . That was almost worse than a spanking. How can a teacher ever get a kid to like to write creatively when he or she has been punished with WRITING? Doesn't make sense...yet teachers did it all the time. Not me..I'd tell my kids they'd never have to write as punishment because I wanted them to LIKE writing....stories, poetry, journals, letters, etc.

Good points.
Good post.

Post subject: A thank you
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:28 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Thank you Dark Knight2 for the compliment.

I still feel opinions being expressed in the negative is because of the confusion between Corpal Punishment and psyical abuse or torture.

I have also been guilty of having tunnel vision on certain matters and after much thought decided I would have been better off to have kept my mouth shut and just let people think I was stupid as to argue and hang my stupitity out to dry.

Post subject: Beliefs for Do-g
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:25 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

!- I see you read a Bible - beautiful.

2- Love may be too strong a word for you - would respect suffice Jealousy - envy and greed are manifestations of mankind.

3- Regardless of how much research goes into an equation to booster an
opinion it is still an opinion of someone else's mind set. Research is fine and educational but not always gospel.

4- The GOD I believe and have faith in wants to kill no one - he offers me a New Jerusalem.

5- You seem to have beautiful goals for mankind. It's a shame adults can't have a meeting of minds and practice it on a daily basis. This could only be accomplished if and when everyone treats all the exact way they wish to be treated.

6-In the process of growing up we have a choice to make. We either want to be like all we encounter or we choose to be different. We are the Captains of our destiny in the final stages of our life. But if things don't go our way, its so easy to point a finger and blame everyone else for our failures. However - we point one finger at our nemesis and we fail to see the three fingers pointing back at us.

As I was growing up - I felt safe and secure in my surroundings. I even felt safe around straingers. I enjoyed my childhood. I was not taught to fear people - but to respect them. I was taught education was important. More=so for the male gender because they were expected to be the bread earners. Bullying was wrong.

Now , how has any of these values changed? Who's responsible for changing them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 pm 

I don't understand why every single discussion we try to have has to be turned into a religious one.

The strange little numbered rant you just had really didn't prove anything at all about disipline, but instead seems like you are preaching about the "way things were". I disagree that because things have changed from whatever eutopia you seem to think used to be things are now in the shitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

lefty wrote:
I don't understand why every single discussion we try to have has to be turned into a religious one.
The strange little numbered rant you just had really didn't prove anything at all about disipline, but instead seems like you are preaching about the "way things were". I disagree that because things have changed from whatever eutopia you seem to think used to be things are now in the shitter.

What's coming next is Dee saying that he wasn't the one who started the religiuos talk. :roll: ...like that matters after that nice little piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

lefty wrote:

Well, politics and morals go hand and hand. Often times, religion dictates a persons morals, so we cant/shouldnt be surprised when it comes it.

Pretty much any topic we can think of can and will have a religious implication to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:02 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

nygreenguy wrote:
Well, politics and morals go hand and hand. Often times, religion dictates a persons morals, so we cant/shouldnt be surprised when it comes it.
Pretty much any topic we can think of can and will have a religious implication to it.

That's true, but...like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:09 pm 

Quote:
I was taught education was important. More=so for the male gender because they were expected to be the bread earners.

I also thought that was a distrurbing sentence that could probably use its own thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:11 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

lefty wrote:
I also thought that was a distrurbing sentence that could probably use its own thread.

:?
Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:50 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

wow, not that I actually read what was posted i can only say....WOW. There is seriously not a hint of accuracy in anything that person posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:55 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

please explain your statement by showing where the accuracy lacks.

Thanks.

Post subject: Corporal Punishment
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:46 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

jobot: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Most parents love their children unconditionally. But this is not a perfect world and no human being is perfect.

A baby starts learning in the womb - after birth, parents have the first five years to form the childs personality.

Babies rely on their parents for survival. Animals in the wilds have an inbred instinct for survival. A baby would lay and die if not nourished and cared for.

We take the first year to teach them how to walk and talk, then spend a lot of time telling them to sit down and shut up. (contradictions?)

It doesn't stop there. A parent must try to teach their child everything that will help them to be self sufficient - independent - honest - clean - how to share and get along with others, good and bad habits and most important, how to love.

Parents come in many varities. One size doesn't fit all. It's not easy being a parent. How to teach love not hate - good from bad - do it for yourself -stop doing that - etc. etc..

If you mistreat - abuse - harm - neglect - ignore or demean animals or children they both will eventually turn on anyone and everyone.

I think opinions can be formed about pet owners and parents by watching how either behave (pets and children that is).

Then a child is a friend or a menace to themselves and society.

I REPEAT IT ALL STARTS IN THE HOME.

I've come into TVNews and LIES many times to read the various topics and the various opinions and for the most part, they are very informative.

Bashing anyone for an opinion is a no no in my way of thinking. Each and all are entitled to an opinion - right or wrong.

Please don't take offence of my personal opinion of you - I really mean no harm.

To me you come across as a very bitter young lady. You appear to choose expressed comments on several topics to shred and make some individuals out to be stupid imbeciles. Do you realize you take some out of context?

My opinion is you are very bitter about how you've been treated in the past and you try to strike out at anyone who does not fit into your way of thinking. You seek alliance for a gang bash against anyone or any issue that strikes your fancy

But more important - let go of your past. The past is stairsteps to our future, but if we can be honest with ourselves - we can choose to make changes. We control our destiny - good or bad.

You appear to be a lot like a step daughter I helped raise. Nothing I tried worked with her. Even a child psychologist refused her as his patient after several sessions with her. He said the only way she would change, was if she chose to change. She was her own worst enemy and she made everyone else miserable. The only kind of friendships she could cultivate were with people with similar personality traits.

She had a wonderful fourth grade teacher who worked a whole school year with me, trying to reach the unreachable. Sorry, I mean I worked with her because she wanted to help my daughter if she could. That is the main reason I have all the respect for all teachers everywhere. They consider themselves as failures if they are unable to help any child needing it.

At the end of the school year my daughters teacher told me we would be in her prayers. She saw I cared and said my job would be hard. She was correct.

I never abused my daughter and only spanked her twice in seven years (one swat each time). She put our family through hell until her sixteenth year. She tricked a young man into a marriage that lasted about three months. I felt sorry for him but in all honesty - I was thankful she would be leaving our household. She returned to our home on three more occasions but by my rules only. When my rules became too rough for her she would leave.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism. I'm not trying to redicule you in any way. But please let your anger go.

Teachers need all the support they can get for every child and from every obstinate and unreasonable parent they encounter. In my five childrens school years I only encountered one unreasonable teacher. After we had a discussion she admitted she had a personality clash with my daughter, so everything worked out fine.

Calculate the odds. A minimum of 58 years of schooling for my five children and only one unequipped educator in the equasion. Not necessarily unequipped just let her emotions get in the way. They are human too.

The percentages speak very highly for all teachers. When parents face reality and constructively co-operate - there may be help for our children in spite of the establishments lack-a-daisy attitude and our Governments (Federal and State) meddling into areas they know nothing about.

Sorry about the long post---Nuff said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next