It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Should corporal punishment be put back in public schools?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Religion''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:40 am 
Hear Me Roar!

lefty and jobot-------Please go to page #5 and read DO.G's very FIRST sentence and you will find your answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

nice post again Dee

Post subject: Re: Corporal Punishment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:45 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" ? ..That was an answer to what question I asked exactly Dee?

dee35ann wrote:
To me you come across as a very bitter young lady. You appear to choose expressed comments on several topics to shred and make some individuals out to be stupid imbeciles. Do you realize you take some out of context?
My opinion is you are very bitter about how you've been treated in the past and you try to strike out at anyone who does not fit into your way of thinking. You seek alliance for a gang bash against anyone or any issue that strikes your fancy
But more important - let go of your past. The past is stairsteps to our future, but if we can be honest with ourselves - we can choose to make changes. We control our destiny - good or bad.

Don't begin to cast your personal opinion of who I am on to me. Do you really think that you know me better than I know myself? You don't know anything about me, so don't pretend to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:49 am 
Hear Me Roar!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
nice post again Dee

How can her entire post not be taken as an insult? Jobot says something 1/2 as condescending and its locked right up!

Post subject: Accuracy to statement and eutopia and education for males
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:29 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Children I was born in the 30's. Women stayed home to raise their families. No females could work in a factory until WWll when all the young men were fighting for our country. Then they put women to work and learned a female could do the jobs after all.

In those days a female was expected to get married have and raise her family - therefore education beyond graduation was not necessary.

Back in those days men did not do womans work. They were expected to work and support their family. Therefore they were the bread earners.

Life back then was no eutopia. Almost everyone was recovering from the stock market crash. Money was scarce but everyone pulled their share and if a neighbor was in trouble (injury or illness) the whole neighborhood pitched in to help. Today a lot of people would not help anyone but would step back and laugh at them.

If a neighbor saw someone else's child doing anything wrong they could swat them and instruct them to tell their parents why. No lawsuits - everyone looking out for each other. Children usually told their parents rather than have the neighbor tell on them. (Good constructive fear).

We did not fear pedophiles - theives - robbers - murderers or gangs.

Real robbers hit banks not people in their homes.

Guns were plentiful for hunting food to put on the tables - not for children to take to school and shoot educators or classmates.

People raised food in gardens and canned it - all natural - no preservitives - prepared it and put it on the table to eat. A few of this generation has little knowledge about raising the food they have to eat and preserving it. That's truly a pity because the shape our world is coming to there may come a time when all will have to fend for themselves. Not trying to scare anyone just saying History does indeed repeat itself.

My generation respected our parents and all of our elders. We were taught to respect everyone and to have self respect and respect for everyone's property.

No it was no eutopia - it was a lot of hard work - but overall it was very happy times. My comparing today's events and my youth - sorry - today loses - hands down.

Our FOREFATHER's were uneducated but they were not stupid. They gave us a wonderful nation that is being torn apart by all of us poor underprivileged - that has it all - and are destroying it at the same time.

This ME - ME - I -I -WANT -WANT -it all at no expense to me generation has everything and still it is not enough. They can't realize the well is running dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Quote:
We did not fear pedophiles - theives - robbers - murderers or gangs.
Instead, blacks and gays feared lynching and other various methods of torture. And women fear physical abuse and rape from their husbands because it was still legal.

I think you greatly over-exaggerate your time, while ignoring the benefits of our own.

You talk about respect, yet i see you made an entire post that was offensive and condescending towards another member. A member I have much respect for. If you have a personal opinion on someone, show her the respect you just bragged about so much and keep it to yourself.

Post subject: jobot says I don't know her
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:49 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

You are absolutely right - I don't know you.

I did know my stepdaughter - living with her seven straight years and still willing to try to help her on three more occasions.

I hear you or I read your comments and I certainly do see my stepdaughter - alive and well and back for a fourth time venting against people you don't know either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I think you greatly over-exaggerate your time, while ignoring the benefits of our own.

Deeann is indeed telling it like it was. I know, because my parents' own life stories would have been very close to what DA is talking about. My parents were very, very self-sufficient... poor, but very proud...they had land, and used it wisely...growing their own food, canning and freezing it, always being prepared against another "hard times." My father didn't retire until he was 68. Mom worked until she was 62. I'm fortunate that my parents taught me how to be just as self-sufficient, and for that I will always be grateful.

Imo, our own times wouldn't be what they are if those Depression Era folks hadn't passed along some of their experiences. To some extent, our times are also the way they are because those same people didn't want their children and grandchildren to have to go through the difficult times they did.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I also think she told it the way it was. I remember EVERY day coming home to a sandwich and a glass of milk. We ate supper at the table as a family.

When my dad said something you did it or you suffered. He drove truck for almost 30 years, not the super trucks they have now, but, the old ones, with no air, seats that bounced you all over hell.

Quote:
And women fear physical abuse and rape from their husbands because it was still legal.

As far as I know that was never legal. Please show us where you got this information from? You continue to make statements without proof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sadie53 wrote:
I am having a very very bad year. I have unruly kids who do not bring even a pencil to class. I walked into my room and caught two boys going through my desk. If I give them detention, they do not show up. If I send them to the principal she gives them a hug and a sucker and tells then not to do it again.

I am supposed to be out in the hall on hall duty, so they destroy my room. If I stay in my room the shove each other into lockers, get into fights, throw things, destroy lockers, and someone gets hurt out in the hall.

Since the implementation of "no child left behind" schools will not suspend kids (maybe if they killed someone they would) but is that what it is going to take? What can we do to them that they fear? Nothing.

I can't teach. We have a Bozo for a superintendent. Everything is the teacher's fault. Had we been in the room or out in the hall none of this would have happened. I am sick to death of it all. I can't afford to go to another district because I have too many years of experience and they want to hire young people right out of college who are cheap. The young ones don't stay - they get out while they can, but the problems are growing into all schools. No discipline, no control.

I remember when I was in school. If someone was really unruly they got a paddling. It was humiliating and they bad behavior stopped. When my kids were in school the district still had paddling in the 80's. If my kids acted up I EXPECTED there to be consequences and then they would have gotten it again at home. Needless to say, my kids were never paddled. They knew better.

Teachers don't do the spanking when they are angry. The principal does it after the child has been to the office so many times and it is a last resort. We have a student who get written up and sent to the principal's office EVERY period EVERYDAY. Nothing is ever done except detention and Thursday school. Big deal. Obviously it ISN"T working.

I was curious because parents who would allow the principal to discipline their kids rarely even have bad kids who need any severe discipline. The parents who don't want you to do anything to their kids are usually the ones who NEED it the most.

Yikes... :shock: I have no easy solution for you, sadie... short of maybe trying to find a teaching position at a college instead of where you are now...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

and obtw, I voted no...

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:18 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

jobot wrote:
sadie53 wrote:
Or course I don't believe in hitting women. I don't normally condone hitting kids.

So if you don't believe in hitting women, how could you approve of hitting children? They're completely defenseless. ...women aren't.
You say that you don't normally condone hitting kids, but you're condoning it right now. ..I don't get it. ...Sometimes it's ok?

sadie53 wrote:
Didn't you ever get your butt smacked? Sounds like you didn't.

Ya, I did actually. My my mom has hit me, and more than just on my butt. My dad has too, and with more than just his hand.
jobot wrote:
I think it's especially hard for people who were raised with physical abuse to let go of the idea.

I was raised with it. ..And I wouldn't wish a belt on anyone else. A belt, a book, a paddle, or a hand.

jobot? most junior high students are no longer the small defenseless children you are defending... they're big... they're strong... and often times, they're armed...

these kids sound like juvenile delinquents, on the road to the big house... they deserve some time-outs... maybe a stretch at a boot camp for miscreants...

and obtw, only cowards strike women...

:evil:

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sadie53 wrote:
I am NOT condoning abuse in any way. I have kids who have never been disciplined and they are running amuck. Someone has to do something. Education has gone downhill ever since they removed corporal punishment from the schools.

I have done everything I can do for this kid. I am not his mother and I can't take him to a shrink. He has to learn about consequences before it is too late. It may sound bizzare to you but a good old fashioned butt smacking may actually wake him up. Who knows? As long as the public is against it, then we have nothing to turn to. Detention just isn't cutting it.

Then all you hear is how the schools are failing the kids. How bad the teachers are. How can we help them if we have no way to punish them? We need something to get their attention. And it better be soon.

Good Luck...

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sadie53 wrote:
What do you do when you cannot depend on the parents to do their job?

I don't think people understand just how "no child left behind" has tied the hands of the schools. You have to try and fix the kid rather than expel him. I am not "trained nor equipped" to do that with 30 other kids to worry about. It isn't just my district. This law has been set up to destroy public education. You can't teach undisciplined, unruly, out-of-control kids whose parents think they are just "expressing" themselves.

Did the district charge the parent for the destroyed property? Did you press charges against the kid for stealing?

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sadie53 wrote:
Then don't put them in my care for 7 hours.

Would you babysit someone's child for 7 hours and not be allowed to phisically pick up the child and put them in time out? Not be allowed to smack its hand? What if it was hurting another child? Would you do something physical then?

Could this attitude be what is wrong with today's children?

Would you smack a 2-year-old's hand before it stuck a key in an electrical socket? That is physical punishment. You are saving its life by physically punishing that child.

Maybe we are harming more children by being afraid to harm them. We are setting them up to fail. We are not preparing them for society and the rules that go with it.

Some children can be reasoned with.
Some children are responsive to conversation.
Some children respond to time out.
Some children respond to grounding or having things taken away.

What about the children who learn from none of these? Then what? Do we just let them destroy themselves or do we look for something that shocks them. Do we do something we really don't want to do but as the old saying goes, "It is for their own good."

Yes... but discipline should take place at home not in the class room. If the children are unruly, punish the parents... and no, I haven't fully thought that out as to how...

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:

~~ Socrates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next