It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S/O Homeschooling
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Lefty
Quote:
I think that homeschooling children, if you are capable and have enough personal knowledge and education to do so correctly and to the extent the children deserve, is a great thing.

With the multitude of ways available, what is the "correct way" to homeschool?

This isn't just to Lefty. This is to anyone. But her statement brought forth the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

In Ohio, if students are home schooled, they still have to come to the nearest public school the week of testing and take the test.

So far, it isn't looking good for those who are home schooled. Very few pass.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:56 pm 

I didn't say there was a correct way to homeschool, but you need to do so correctly. Many, many people homeschool out of laziness or because their children have misbehaved so much in public schools that they have been kicked out of them. I believe that if you homeschool you should personally have a very solid knowledge base in order to impart knowledge to your children. I don't believe a lot in the zillion different teaching theories and believe that children are each different so they each need a different approach to learning. I suppose my point is that you have to have more than good intentions to teach your child well. My mother homeschooled my youngest sister and my sister is very bright, well-adjusted and very happy in her adult life. But, I have known it to happen the other way. Parents want to homeschool for whatever reason who themselves can barely read, much less be able to teach their child trigonometry, literature, chemistry, etc. And please don't say that those things aren't important, because they are. Exposing your children to a huge variety of information allows them to choose their own life path and not just what the parents may want them to be.

Please know, I am an advocate for homeschooling. I think it can be a valuable experience for both the parents and the children. But far too often parents become lazy about it and the children are the ones to suffer. As Sadie noted, the kids who try to take tests can't pass. (Now, as you know I freaking hate the national standards set so this may be a moot point anyhow) but the truth is that basic skills are important, but so are advanced skills. To teach your children correctly would be to provide them with a wide breadth of knowledge from which they can then further pursue their particular interests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:10 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh I agree Lefty. I just think many people are home schooling who don't have a clue what their child needs to learn.

I am not even an advocate for the stupid test - I just have to laugh that if a person has one or two kids at home and they can't prepare them enough to pass the test...how in the hell are teachers supposed to get 25 - 80 kids to pass it?

This either proves home schoolers don't know what they are doing ....or....
.......there is something DRASTICALLY wrong with "THE TEST".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally, I don't like labels. School is school, but in order to differentiate where children receive their "formal education" we often refer to "public school," "private school," and/or "homeschool." There may be more, but for this discussion, I guess those three will suffice.

For those who want to homeschool, I say go for it...but don't expect it to be easy. Know the educational requirements of children in your state. Check out testing procedures and requirements, and find out what your child will have to know to be considered eligible for high school graduation and procuring that all-important diploma. As the child grows and matures, his needs change, both educationally and socially. Be sure you can continue to meet that challenge over time, too.

http://www.goodbyecitylife.com/homeschool/

CONS OF HOMESCHOOLING:

Cons of Homeschooling #1: The time it takes to homeschool
Homeschooling vs public schooling may be a good idea but do you have the time? The time it takes to homeschool a child is tremendous. If you already have a busy schedule, homeschooling may send you over the edge.

Cons of Homeschooling #2: Unrealistic expectation of results of homeschooling

When deciding to homeschool a child, parents often expect the results to be as high as their level of sacrifice. In another words, they want proofs that homeschooling works and they want immediate success soon. They want to prove that the arguments against homeschooling were either wrong or worth the sacrifices.

Cons of Homeschooling #3: Limits on family's connection with other families

One of the arguments against home schooling is the homeschooling family's limited role in the community and connection with other families. Homeschooling families have less chances to get to know other families and share faith, resources, and social activities.

Cons of Homeschooling #4: Cost of homeschooling

Another one of arguments against homeschooling for parents is the cost of homeschooling. Homeschooling is not always cheaper than the cost of attending a public school. Sometimes, homeschoooling can be more expensive.

Cons of Homeschooling #5: Limit of homeschool teacher

One of the arguments against homeschooling is the limit of the teaching ability of the parents or the homeschool teacher hired to homeschool the child. Sometimes, the child is brilliant at a particular subject that may be the parents' weakness or one of the subject that the homeschool teacher lack expertise on. This can severely limit the child's developing abilities.

Cons of Homeschooling #6: Lack of recognition

Recognitions have been proven to help with motivations. Homeschool children are less likely to get recognition from people other than parents or a small group of supporting family members. School students, on the other hand, often get praised by the local papers or by other classmates. This boosts the awarded child's motivation.

Cons of Homeschooling #7: Lack of competition

Some children thrive under pressure. With homeschooling, there are no other kids to compete with which is one of the main arguments against homeschooling.

Cons of Homeschooling #8: Lack of accountability

Lack of accountability is also one of the arguments against homeschooling. Lack of accountability usually leads to lack of discipline. Accountability and discipline will greatly benefit the child when he or she grows up.

Cons of Homeschooling #9: No sports involvement

Sports are very important part of the public and private school curriculum. This is a major argument against homeschooling. Without attending a public school, where can a homeschool excel in sports? What if the homeschooler is born to be a professional football player? Where can he or she realize his or her potential being a homeschooler?

All of the above cons of homeschooling and arguments against homeschooling are important consideration when deciding whether to homeschool your child. Find our as much as possible on home school resources in order to make informed decisions.

HOMESCHOOLING: YOUR RESOURCE GUIDE

Lots more info at that link.

HOMESCHOOLING: WHY IT'S NOT RIGHT FOR US

HOMESCHOOLING: 10 THINGS TO CONSIDER

Some good links at that site, too.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:10 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Wow. Thanks for the site. My daughter hss been looking into homeschooling for my granddaughter. (I think because she feels she has me as a back-up). I will definitely give her this web-site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:41 am 

I didn't mean to imply that homeschooling wasn't a good choice; it really is for some people. And as far as Mrs. Hoppes, I think it goes well with her choice to homestead. So, I really wasn't trying to be negative. I was just trying to be little more realistic than a lot of people who advocate homeschooling are. The list you provided, Catherine, is a great example of the things one needs to consider when homeschooling.