It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About NEWS CHAIN ALERTS
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:32 pm 

I Just posted this in response to another posters info about this thing called NEWS CHAIN ALERSTS . I posted it on the Common Dreams website where I was the intial post about NEWS CHAIN ALERTS.

THIS IS THE GREATEST IDEA I HAVE EVER READ ON THE COMMENTS SECTION, AND USUALLY I FIND THE COMMENTS MUCH MORE ON TARGET THAN THE ARTICLES!!! great Idea Chris Horton

May I just add one suggestion. That the posting we do on these stories NOT be only on “left-progressive” whatever that means in todays gatekeeping environment– sites BUT ALSO ON BIG MAINSTREAM NEWSPAPER SITES LIKE STL TODAY. That way it can BECOME THE MAINSTREAM rather than be forever marginalized as ALternative, when if given a listen it could well be the majority viewpoint.
——

ABOUT NEWS CHAIN ALERTS:
“News Chain Alerts” are a response to a serious and growing problem: important news stories are not being reported by the “Major Media” - the networks, dailies, wire services and ISPs through which most people get their news. The idea is to spot the stories that are being given the “silent treatment”, and spread them by forwarding. If on average half the people who get this “News Chain Alert” forward it to 20 people on their list who haven’t yet received it, it would take only 8 steps to reach 100 million people!
Suggested rules for “News Chain Alerts”:
1. The content of a News Chain Alert is just a headline, a link to a recent news article, and a copy of this write-up about “News Chain Alerts”. Nothing else. That way nobody’s trying to push their opinions on anybody, and nobody’s starting an argument.
2. The article pointed to should be a news story - not opinion or analysis - from a credible source, of general interest, that is not being adequately carried by the Major Media.
3. When you get a News Chain Alert, ask yourself: “Would any reasonable person agree that this story should have been on the national news?” If so, forward it to your list, and include “News Chain Alert, please forward” in the subject heading. If not, don’t.
SUGGESTIONS:
# If you want to talk about this story, or want to forward an opinion piece, do it separately, but please don’t use the name “News Chain Alert”. Let’s reserve that name for this special kind of message.
# Anyone can start a News Chain Alert. Search the article headline on “Google News” first to see if it really is being given the silent treatment, and then ask yourself: Do I trust the source? Is this important for people to know? Is it a news article, not just somebody’s opinions or a rehash or rumor? Is it fresh?
# Include this write-up when you start a new News Chain Alert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good information, nathanial...and if Joe Lieberman gets his way, he'll get to CENSOR the NET! Take a look at this:

Joe Lieberman, Would-Be Censor

The Internet is simply a means of communication, like the telephone, but that has not prevented attempts to demonize it — the latest being the ludicrous claim that the Internet promotes terrorism.

Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut is trying to pressure YouTube to pull down videos he does not like, and a recent Senate report and a bill pending in Congress also raise the specter of censorship. It is important for online speech to be protected against these assaults.

Mr. Lieberman recently demanded that YouTube take down hundreds of videos produced by Islamist terrorist organizations or their supporters. YouTube reviewed the videos to determine whether they violated its guidelines, which prohibit hate speech and graphic or gratuitous violence. It took down 80 videos, but left others up. Mr. Lieberman said that was “not enough,” and demanded that more come down.

Earlier this month, the Senate homeland security committee, which is led by Mr. Lieberman, issued a report titled “Violent Islamist Extremism, the Internet, and the Homegrown Terrorist Threat.” The report identified the Internet as “one of the primary drivers” of the terrorist threat to the United States.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 pm 

Catherine it must be us.

I just cannot see the reference to Joe Lieberman in the first amendment. I know, its getting bad. I made an appointment to have my eyes examined Thursday.