It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OBAMA PICKS UP TEN NEWSPAPER ENDORSEMENTS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Barack Obama picks up ten newspaper endorsements today. One of them is my Asheville Citizen-Times! :D :D

UPDATE: 10 Newspapers Endorse Obama Today

NEW YORK [b]Barack Obama picked up at least 10 newspaper endorsements this weekend, including six in swing states Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina and Missouri. John McCain, as far as we know, gained none.

The Wisconsin State Journal and The Sun of San Bernardino had backed Bush in 2004. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch called Obama's opponent, John McCain, "the incredible shrinking man" who had made a horrific pick for his running mate.

Backing Obama: In Ohio, The Blade in Toledo and the Dayton Daily News; the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, The Tennessean of Nashville, the Wisconsin State Journal. the Asheville (N.C.) Citizen-Times, and in California the Fresno Bee, Contra Costa Times and The Sun of San Bernardino (which had picked Bush over Kerry).

:bounce:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: OBAMA PICKS UP TEN NEWSPAPER ENDORSEMENTS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:30 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Of 2004, E&P said:
Quote:
But actually, I beg to differ with those who say endorsements have no impact. Consider my amazingly accurate 11th hour predictions in 2004-- based solely on newspaper editorials.

Editor & Publisher has a decades-long tradition of logging endorsements for president. I don't know how it was done in a timely fashion before the Internet Age -- the mind boggles -- but in 2004, starting in mid-September of that year, we started checking the Web for any and all newspaper endorsements.

We kept a running total of who led in the number of endorsements, as well as the audience size of the supporting papers. The lead swung back and forth several times, and it was fascinating to chart a large number of papers that backed Bush in 2000 that now chose Kerry (the Iraq war was a big factor). Erin Olson, an intern from Medill, did a terrific job in keeping track.

It became a popular daily feature in the final weeks of the campaign. In early November 2004, our final pre-election tally found Kerry edging Bush in endorsements by 211-197, but topping him rather easily in total circ, 20.8 million to 14.6 million. Since Bush won, barely, you might say, so much for newspapers swinging the election!

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.