It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DO AUTOWORKERS MAKE $70 AN HOUR?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Media figures falsely assert or suggest autoworkers make $70/hour without noting figure includes benefits paid to current retirees

Summary: Several media outlets have used data that combines the average cost of current wages and benefits and future benefits to falsely assert or suggest that autoworkers make $70 or more per hour. But, as analysts and some media outlets have noted, the figure includes not only future retirement benefits for current workers, but also benefits paid to current retirees.

MORE AT THE LINK.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: DO AUTOWORKERS MAKE $70 AN HOUR?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 am 

Very interesting. Now I have answers when I hear people complain about those 'too highly paid auto workers'. Actually, they aren't that polite with their complaints. I am sure they get their 'information' from Limbaugh because they pepper their comments with hate.

Thank you for giving me something to respond with.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 am 
Hear Me Roar!

If everything is figured into the total wage package - then $70.00 an hour would come close. (so much money for each year of service - medical - optical and prescription benefits.)
Actual pay scale of the average auto worker on the job is right at $20.00 an hour. When they get a raise in pay everything else goes up - so the overall gain is not what the increase in pay figures indicate. I was an ARO and my top salary was $22.00 an hour and I worked for the money. ARO is an absentee replacement operator and the pay scale is a little higher than an assembly line worker. I figured I was in the plant for at least 40 hours a week and I may as well make all I can while there. Not too many people liked different jobs but, like I told one young new hire - the variation of jobs could prevent injuries to different parts of the body.
I am a retired auto worker and they never figure into the equation that which is given in contractual benefits can also be taken away with a new contract being formulated.
I never put any stock into what a Union could do for me on the job because the union delegates take care of their own. (President - reps - family members - friends - good old boys -etc. etc.) They pretty much write their own paycheck for no actual work.
However I would hate to go into a non-union factory. Talk about sweat shops being reborn - shudder the thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with making what amounts to $70.00 an hour when the whole package is analyzed. Those workers are the backbone of the auto industry, just like they're the backbone of every other industry. Without the worker, there will be no company. I think of Bill Gates and how he "spread the wealth" of Microsoft to his employees. Yet he continued to do just fine and is today one of the world's richest men. Imagine if all American industries had done that....including the auto industry. Instead, workers have had to fight for a fair wage and safe working conditions for eons. When I think of what the CEOs of those companies make, $70 an hour for the backbone is pretty damned cheap.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman