It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocky Mountain News Shutting Down
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 am 

I feel like I've lost an old friend with this news. The News was the alternative to the Denver Post during my college days. It was printed in the smaller tabloid size. I spent several long afternoons in their "morgue" determining old family history. It will be sorely missed.

PT, any thoughts?

Quote:
Friends,

Many of you already are aware that the Rocky Mountain News has announced it will publish its final edition on Friday, February 27 -- marking the end of a 150-year-old institution and the oldest daily newspaper in Colorado. As a longtime Denver resident and a former News employee, my thoughts are with those friends and former colleagues who are weathering this latest chapter in the rapid deterioration and consolidation of the U.S. newspaper industry.

As the head of Colorado Media Matters, my concerns go beyond the loss of a Denver news institution. In the nearly three years that we have been monitoring and correcting conservative misinformation in the Colorado media, it has been clear that a shrinking, less-diverse base of news and commentary outlets has created fertile ground for the conservative noise machine to convey its messages through the media via falsehoods, distortions, and smears. The loss of the News is likely to feed this phenomenon in Colorado.

It is as important as ever that all of us remain vigilant and keep our focus trained on identifying and correcting conservative misinformation in the media. With your support, we will continue to conduct our increasingly vital mission not only as media watchdog, but also as a voice for media reform in Colorado.

Regards,

Bill Menezes
Editorial Director
Colorado Media Matters

colorado.mediamatters.org

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain News Shutting Down
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sad news, indeed, APL, and I understand how you feel. While my local newspapers are still available, many of the local features aren't included anymore due to the deaths of those who wrote them. I miss roaming the mountains with John Parris.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain News Shutting Down
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I truly hate to see any venerable old institutions and employers close their doors. I once wrote a small report on the Denver Post. It was based on a book called "Thunder in the Rockies." Not sure though, it was many moons ago.

I am of the opinion that many, many doors will close this year. Police states never have a vigorous economy. Never.

Obama has already shut the door on doing anything about it.

What I am more perplexed about is last weeks comment from Brian Williams to John Stewart, while they were discussing the fragile economy. Brian said "this is about control of the world."

Either Brian was fu*in with conspiracy theorists or he was telling the truth. You be the judge.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson