It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Isn't Bob Novak Going to Jail?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tony Norman: 'Why isn't Bob Novak going to jail?'
Friday, February 18 @ 10:07:21 EST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Tony Norman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Will someone please explain in simple, easy-to-understand language, why we never see right-wing pundit Bob Novak's name mentioned in the same breath as reporters facing jail time for contempt in the Valerie Plame affair?

Earlier this week, a three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in Washington upheld an earlier court ruling that New York Times reporter Judith Miller and Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper should be jailed for contempt for failing to disclose the source of a story neither had any intention of publishing in the first place.

Meanwhile, Bob Novak, the only columnist in the country who actually published Plame's identity in violation of federal law, sits comfortably ensconced on CNN's "The Capital Gang" bloviating as usual.

Miller and Cooper will probably go to jail for "witnessing" a federal crime and refusing to cooperate with a grand jury investigating the leak of a CIA agent's identity. So why is it that only two of the three reporters who allegedly "witnessed" the crime are being threatened?

Novak not only knows the identity of the "senior White House official" who leaked the information to Miller and Cooper, he willingly became a conduit for that information.

What we don't know is whether Novak revealed his source to prosecutors, or whether he is simply enjoying the fruits of years of toadying to the White House.

The malicious White House official's intention appears to have been to discredit Plame's husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson. Ambassador Wilson attracted the White House's ire by writing an opinion piece for The New York Times contradicting President Bush's claim in his 2003 State of the Union speech that Iraq had sought to acquire uranium from Niger.

Ambassador Wilson had been a part of a high-level delegation sent to Africa to investigate. Instead of finding proof Niger sold uranium to Iraq, Wilson discovered documents so crudely forged that only an idiot would believe they incriminated anyone. Wilson reported his findings to the State Department, but the president repeated the urban legend in the run-up to the Iraq war, anyway.

In going after Wilson, a White House official decided that "outing" the dissident ambassador's wife was acceptable collateral damage -- federal crime or not. Novak agreed and published her name, ending the career of an effective covert spy in the Third World and endangering her contacts.

After Plame's cover was blown by a White House official and their flunky in the Washington press corps, there was immediate disgust and outrage in the intelligence community.

Congressional investigations were threatened and a grand jury convened. In the perverse logic of the nation's capital, subpoenas were sent to reporters who merely sat on the information Novak published. While Miller and Cooper face serious jail time for upholding the principle of source confidentiality, Novak continues perfecting his million-dollar scowl on "Crossfire."

Don't you just hate double standards? It makes you wonder how the self-anointed "Prince of Darkness" can skate so blithely through this firestorm without getting singed.

Ironically, Miller's coverage of the faulty intelligence leading up to the war wasn't nearly as critical of the president's rationales for war as it should have been, yet she's in as much jeopardy as Bush skeptic Cooper.

The persecution and prosecution of reporters is taking place at a time when the White House has perfected the art of manipulating the Fourth Estate. With recent revelations that three prominent columnists were paid "consultants" for administration policies, it's easy to see why the First Amendment isn't taken particularly seriously these days.

And then, with the announcement that "Jeff Gannon," a proud sycophant of the White House press corps, is actually James Guckert, a Republican dirty trickster and homosexual prostitute, one has to wonder whether this administration's contempt for journalists knows any bounds.

As bad as things are now, there's still room for it to get a little worse.

Tony Norman can be reached at tnorman@post-gazette.com.

Reprinted from The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05049/459428.stm

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: He's Bob Novak & We're NOT!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:10 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Why is Bobby (SO FAR) NOT going to be fitted for an orange jumpsuit, be seen taking a perp walk and have his mugshot taken, only to have it appear in the celebrity mugshot file at The Smoking Gun? Simply put, because he's BOB NOVAK!

"It's Not What You Are, It's What People Think You Are"

If We Don't Ask, We Can't Learn" & "If We Don't Learn, We Can't Grow"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:28 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Catherine -

It is people like Sandy - A is A, who enable scoundrels like Novak to continue spewing his bile.

I posted the same article on another site, and here were Sandy's responses to me -

Quote:
Bob Novak may be the only ethical man in the whole situation. He was given information with the understanding that the informant be kept in secret. This happened every day in D.C. and it should be kept sacred. Without these informants our government might be even worse than it is today. My guess is that it was Ari Fleisher but I have nothing to base it on except he ran like a dog just before the story broke.

I'm waiting for the documents from the White House after 911 to be exposed to the media in a year or two and then and only then will the Americans realize the damage George Bush has done to the country.

The man who leaks these memos to the press will never make it through the week. It will not only destroy Bush but the whole Republican Party. Anyone who has read "Crossing the Rubicon" and knows it is not about Julius Caesar will know much of the action prior to and including 911. 900 traceable footnotes can't be all false. But it's a big book, probably too large for the average reader who will wait until it makes it on television. Michael Moore knew the limits of the American readers.

I've known Bob Novak for years and have a lot of respect for his ethics and character. He's lucky; the young man who broke the story about the CIA bringing drugs into America is now dead! This was the reporter from the San Jose newspaper.

OpAl. You don't understand how journalists work. They all have a valuable place in our government and many unscrupulous politicians are more careful around journalists finding out about what they are doing knowing that at any time they could print the truth about themselves.

We've gone over this before and if you did this kind of work you might realize what an asset they are. Bob Novak caught t he Bush Administration is a real mistake and you want Bob to go to jail? Think about it!

Funny, what was I doing the two years I worked for Pacific Press in the newsroom - certainly not typing.

I was in the newsroom in July, 1968; the night all the teletypes started rattling at once - Chicago. There were grown men crying that night; we thought the freedom of the press was being unbelievably shattered!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:17 pm 

Excuse me, I am still choking on, "Bob Novak may be the only ethical man in the whole situation. He was given information with the understanding that the informant be kept in secret. This happened every day in D.C. and it should be kept sacred."

Interesting what is sacred and what is not. Plame was working undercover to find out about WMDs, and her name was thrown out by this bum that we are supposed to look on as 'ethical'? Her work is down the drain and possibly the people she worked with are dead now because of Novak's 'ethics'.

We really are down the rabbit hole, aren't we!

Post subject: Leaking
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:13 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Regarding The Reporters WHO LEAKED NOTHING - Judith Miller of NYTImes & Matthew Cooper
Regarding The Reporter aka Mr Depends - Bobby Novak:

I heard something on Face The Nation this morning that was so funny I just have to get the direct quote and post it here. It involves Bobby Novak. I'll be back to post it so we all "who know what time it is" can get another good laugh at the Administration and the lapdog media who continue to protect and old fool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:24 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Ok, they posted it today. Every Sunday at the end of Face The Nation, Bob Schieffer gives a stirring commentary (laughs) on some news event during the week or year. Sunday's commentary involved the Cooper/Miller/Novak/Mrs Joe Wilson issues. Here is the link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/ ... 5230.shtml

Under the headline "A Ridiculous Spectacle", let me quote from the commentary and offer my own:

(CBS) A federal court cleared the way last week to jail two reporters, Matthew Cooper of Time magazine and Judy Miller of The New York Times, unless they tell what they know about who revealed the identity of a CIA secret agent, an agent who happened to be the wife of an administration critic, former Ambassador Joe Wilson.

To me, this is very sad that prosecutor's have decided to do this to Matthew and Judy; but what about Mr Novak? Schieffer doesn't even go there anything going to be done to him and he offered no comments if anything should or should not!

Outing a secret agent is a crime, but these reporters did not do it. Judy Miller didn't even write a story about it. The leak came from someone inside the government who told columnist Bob Novak who then published it.

Well, yes, Judy nor Matthew "leaked" anything and Judy didn't even write an article about it as Mr Schieffer states. But Bobby Novak DID WRITE A STORY ABOUT IT. Mr Schieffer seems to be giving Bobby a pass and blames the "Government Insider" for the leak instead. I think both of them are wrong. Yes, the insider may have told Bobby but Bobby then took it a step further and published the name of Mrs Joe Wilson. All Bobby had to do was keep his trap shut but being the person he is, he didn't.

Why was it leaked? Not, apparently, to harm the government but to undermine Wilson, the critic who challenged administration claims that Iraq had tried to buy material for a nuclear weapon in Africa, a claim we now know that the CIA also challenged. Unable to find out which of the government officials did this, the prosecutors are threatening to jail reporters unless they tell what they know, and that includes Judy Miller, who, I repeat, never wrote a story about it. What's next? Arresting people who decide not to steal a car?

I agree, but will put it another way, it was done to "trash Joe Wilson" or "demonize/discredit Joe Wilson". That seems to be what THIS ADMINISTRATION does when people speak against it in any way. The only "reporters" they seem to want to jail are Judy and Matthew, NOT NOVAK! Mr Scieffer doesn't seem to want to make that distinction in this paragraph of his commentary.

Our government has its share of corruption, but one reason we have far less than many countries is that whistle-blowers can right wrongs by confiding in reporters, knowing that the reporters will keep their identity confidential. Forcing reporters to break those confidences will not improve government security or efficiency; nor will it reduce corruption. What it will produce is the kind of ridiculous spectacle we're now seeing, where the leaker is never found, the government comes off looking like Inspector Clouseau, reporters are threatened with jail and the rest of us get stuck with a multimillion-dollar bill.

Why does Mr Schieffer compare these reporters to whistleblowers? What whistle was blown? A spy was outed. Someone inside the Government told Bobby Novak AND HE PRINTED THE NAME OF THE SPY. Yes, there should be protection for whistleblowers but Bobby or Judy didn't blow a whisle - BOBBY BLEW MRS JOE WILSON'S COVER by printing her name in his column!

All of us, not just reporters, owe Judy Miller and Matt Cooper for refusing to give in.

Well, Mr Schieffer, I would say THE GOVERMENT PROSECUTORS owe Judy because SHE DID NOTHING WRONG! But once again, Mr Schieffer leaves out Bobby Novak WHO DID WRITE THE CIA SPY'S NAME IN HIS COLUMN thereby "outing her" TO THE PUBLIC! Note, Mr Schieffer didn't say we owe Bobby anything because WE DON"T OWE HIM. Instead, he needs to be prosecuted. I'm not familiar with this whole saga so I don't know if Matt published Mrs Joe Wilson's name or ever wrote any articles where he mentioned "a governemnt source" told him anything.

Why is Bob Schieffer "dancing around" Bobby Novak's role in all this and why does it seem like he is protecting him? Media "old dogs" protecting other media "old dogs" while the young ones take the rap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:08 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Ok, on the Deceptive Reporting thread of TvNewsLIES.org, I read the article on the post entitled " Reporters Must Reveal Source Who Exposed CIA Agent" and from the artcle posted there, I gather Judy and Matt "talked to" people. Novak (on the otherhand) talked to people and PRINTED THE NAME. However, he has escaped proscecution (for now).

Where I work, If you give up secrets/tell personal information, YOU LOSE YOUR JOB! So, I can see why the prosecutors want to know who told the reports because it's a crime for a Government Employee to tell the GENERAL PUBLIC a "Government Secret" such as who is a CIA Operative.

But still, prosecutors are going after Judy and Matt BUT NOT Bob Novak! If they are going to play that game of "shakedown", then why not Novak as well? I wonder does he sit around the townhouse in Georgetown laughing all the way to the bank as he sees people like Judy and Matt take the fall when he (NOVAK) printed and identiied Mrs Joe Wilson to the public?

I don't know how else the Government Prosecutors can get to the bottom of this other than do what they did when Bill Clinton was being raked through the mud - Call in all the Government Employees THEY THINK may have done it/had knowledge of it and get them on the record saying what THEY KNOW. Ken Star had no problem intimidating Clinton friend, Susan McDougal, Presidential Personal Secretary, Betty Curry and ex-Intern and Lover, Monica Lewinsky. So, shakedown Rove, Fleisher, Card and the like. Since the Repubs are in power, I guess we won't see that happening. Only the reporters will be intimidated - just not the Repub friendly ones like Novak!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good posts, Matt! Have you sent your interpretations of Sheiffer's spiel to him?

Do you ever wonder if Novak knows Jeff Gannon? :D

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:07 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

The ongoing saga - And I did not post anything, but Agnostic did, and that set her off!

With people like this posting on progressive boards, it is going to be a zoo!

This woman comes on all nice and sweet and little old lady, until you disagree with her; then, it all guns blazing. Also, usually I can not make heads or tails about her point. :twisted:

Quote:
Look OpAl. In America the journalists do not have to "out" their sources. I don't care if I am the only one on this goddamn planet who appreciates this. If you insist that all sources be published then nobody will ever try to bring out the total perversion found in many of the governments on this rotten planet.

Bob Novak's work must be protected just as Bob Woodward's work was hidden when he blew the whistle on Nixon.

You are so filled with fury over the Bush Administration you are willing to throw out the Jouralists with the bathwater. When Novak outed his information on Plame, it was known fact that she was with the CIA. It was also a fact that Wilson tried to undercut Bush's plans to invade Iraq. Instead of throwing Novak in the clinker why aren't you furious with Bush for his manipulations (read lies) to the American public?

I know for a fact that Bush planned the attack in the Middle East to cover his own ass in 911. That is something that should be the source of your anger Annie and get off your destructive comments to me.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the First Amendment and then read up on why journalists are protected under this first Amendment. You are pissed because Novak is a Republican! By the way he also blew the whistle on the fact that Reagan was pro-choice back in the 70s and so is Barbara and Laura Bush. For that I consider him a brave man.

If they throw Novak in jail, the entire quality of our journalism will go down the tubes and Bush will rule himself as King of the media.

Look Ag, I'm not responsible for the handling of the white house media tricks. I came out against the whole damn Bush family back in 1992 trying to make Americans aware of the evil of the whole damn clan. I worked my arse off to wake people up not to vote for either man but ignorance always seems to win, especially on this stupid forums.

Every day that man is in power, I wake up with a fear for all mankind that he will attempt to destroy all of us in his zeal for Armageddon. He's crazy!

Jailing Novak won't do a thing except prove to Bush, he has complete control over the world. Bush wants Novak in jail if only to set an example of what playing with Bush can cause.

Evidently neither you nor OpAl understand the workings of this Administration and the only way to bring them down is let the media go at them all. Somehow I still believe that even under the weight of bad Americans like the Bush family, there might be a chance for truth to be exposed. Sadly we will never be able to expose Bush's evil until his documents are finally released to the public. But his actions will be exposed!

In America all we have left is the free press and I don't give a damn what they expose, leave them alone! Of course, I'm not a socialist like so many of you and to me freedom is the most valuable American trait.

A is A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:10 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Good analysis, Matti :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:32 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Catherine, I sent it this morning. arond 9:00am. The show airs at 10:300am here in town. I will watch the end of the show to see if he reads letters from the views. I did edit it so that it was written to him.