It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O'Reilly, Colbert to Trade Appearances
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:15 am 

It may feel like looking into the mirror for Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert next week. The Fox News Channel host and Colbert, who has essentially based his comic character every evening on Comedy Central on him, will trade appearances on each other's programs Jan. 18.

"I'm really looking forward to speaking to a man who owes his entire career to me," O'Reilly said.

On "The Colbert Report," Colbert portrays a self-involved talk-show host who has tried to bring "truthiness" to the world. His character owes an obvious debt to O'Reilly, who holds court in the "no-spin zone" each evening.

On "The O'Reilly Factor," O'Reilly portrays a ... um, he hosts the top-rated program in cable news.

"I look forward to the evening," Colbert said. "It is an honor to speak face-to-face with a broadcasting legend, and I feel the same way about Mr. O'Reilly."

This should be really interesting. This is the entire story, by the way. Next installment after the two appearances.

LINK

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:17 am 

Ok. so how many of O'barflies viewers are going to realize that Colbert is making fun of their entire belief system? Or what about the fact that O'barflie himself doesn't seem to realize that the show is a satire?

Hm...very interesting. My BF is insanely jealous of Colbert because I watch every show and laugh my ass off. (BF doesn't get the jokes usually because you have to really know what the hell's going on to get most of them and he's oblivious to the news, regardless of how much I continuously tell him--sorry, that was a really long and kinda pointless aside!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:19 am 

Unfortunately, I believe your BF has the general attitude of the American public. It kind of amazes me that people like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have as big an audience as they do--since people do have to know what is going on to get their humor.

That is why I feel so alone around here--no one gives a rats ass about what is happening. They vote R and that is all they care about. My father voted R and I vote R. The basic extent of knowledge in this area.

O'Reilly is so super sensitive I can't imagine what is going to happen when he meets up with Colbert. Maybe they can both skewer Olbermann?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid